• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Matthew Berson Salary $33,750

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And as always, the laid off airline pilots are encroaching into the corporate flying jobs.
They will work for peanuts and screw up the payscale for the profession.

J3

My special ed teacher never looked like the one there....

Brooke Kohlhorst

(28)
Special Education Teacher
Charles County
$52,549
Proud rider of the short bus too eh?
'splains why we are arline pylets, huh?
PBR

You know I think that the majority of new pilots that accept jobs at regionals have no idea what they are getting into financially. I think they want to be pilots so bad that they complete the schooling without doing the research into what their pay/lifestyle will be like for the first few years as an F/O and even in some cases as a CPT. I doubt the flight schools even mention what things are going to be like for them once they graduate and get online; it would hurt reduce their enrollment and subsequently reduce the bottom line (profit). The schools just keep showing the pictures of gradutes in their uniforms at the controls of a shiny RJ which sells the product and keeps the school in business. Most of these guys and gals are really young and have do not have the financial foresight to understand just how poor they will be for years to come while paying back their debt one paycheck at a time for the next 15 years. Now they are trapped. It would be a bitter pill to swallow to pack it up and leave the industry after spending a ton of money and commiting so much time to get where they are now; broke and slightly miserable. I know thats not everyone but I bet if you sample a lot of the newer and some of us more senior F/O's that their answer would be "no I would not have become a pilot". We definitely deserve more money and better contracts for the amount of responsibility we have. It is not right.
If I did not have two jobs I would not be able to pay all of my bills. But, I do love to fly and I enjoy my job so I will stay here until I lose my medical or win the lotto. Just my two cents.
Fly safe.

And as always, the laid off airline pilots are encroaching into the corporate flying jobs.
They will work for peanuts and screw up the payscale for the profession.

J3

Haha! It's soooo true... All these internet commando tough guys go on and on about how they should be paid more but then jump ship into a corporate job all the while lowering the bar there. Believe me, I've done it. I fortunately left after I figured out that I shorted myself salary-wise 4 months later.

JettBoii, I agree completely. I also have to shake my head at anybody that decided to start flight training post 9-11. The industry has been in the crapper for the most part since then, and hasn't recovered since then for various reasons...and I don't think will ever fully recover.

We can blast these people all we want but the bottom line is that there are pilots among us that are accepting these jobs for employment. As soon as "we" start turning these jobs down, management will stop offering low wages. Pilots should have to join a local union before seeking airline employment, not after.

Who do you work for? And if it's a regional, everything you said is just negated.

Who do you work for? And if it's a regional, everything you said is just negated.

Let's see, I don't work for Pinnacle, Colgan, Great lakes, Mesa, Gulfstream, or any other of the dozens upon dozens of bottom feeder regionals. That's who I work for.

Garbage Collector is nipping at his heels... oh to be so proud!

JettBoii, I agree completely. I also have to shake my head at anybody that decided to start flight training post 9-11. The industry has been in the crapper for the most part since then, and hasn't recovered since then for various reasons...and I don't think will ever fully recover.

^Lame post, so was JettBoii's post. Way to generalize your feelings on other pilots and flight schools.

Why not shake your head at the pilots flying pre 9-11? It seems to me that those are the people responsible for the industry being in the crapper, not the student pilot post 9-11.

eP.

Latest resources

Back