• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mandatory Retirement Age at 91K/135 Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
40 ... that's the retirement age for military pilots whose flying tactical aircraft most closely resembles Professional Athletics...

Flying a transport category airplane does not require those type of reflexes and athletic abilities. it requires caution more than aggressive behavior of athletes and tactical attack aircraft. Traits more closely Resembling Pilots over 40!

Maybe transport category flying should require a pilot to be at least 40.

Youve got it figured out "aye" Hawkered?

I'd say that is the best advertisement for mandatory retirement I've ever seen.

How so? I'm on meds for a disease I contracted while deployed. But I'll be done with treatment in July and you'll still be a bitter young man?

Whats your excuse?

So we are retiring the 52 years olds now?

Can you imagine doing a tour with this guy?

Several here have.

Yep 80's "me" person, thats it!

They sent "me" to Bosnia in 96, me to Iraq in 04, and me to Afghanistan in 06. (F-ck "me"! I need a break)

And you?

So, what do they call your generation if I might ask?

How exactly do you envision your generation?

I'm asking man? I don't know?

Sorry about the marriage(s), we all have problems, it's just that your problems shouldn't be everyone else's problems.

Oh thanks man, I do appreciate your condolence, I'm sure it's sincere.

I've been married 25 years. I wasn't referring to myself specifically. I was trying to explain to you that alot of life happens that you can't control.

I've got no "beef" with you man. I'm just trying to enlighten you regarding life.

I have been every age you have and apparently far beyond.

Just think how smart you think you are right now. Are you done? Is that it? You aren't gonna learn another thing the rest of your life? Your there!

How old are you man?

Because the things I have experienced since I was 39 were awesome (3 Combat tours if your not getting it).

I think I would probably get along just fine in a cockpit with you man. Couple of beers and we would probably be pals.

I'm assuming you already know all about Tactical approaches into Bagdad and such. Hell man, we are both pilots, I'm sure we can find something to chat about.

You like woman right? I do! (If not, It's OK, thats your business)

Take care, Semore

I'd say that is the best advertisement for mandatory retirement I've ever seen.

How so? I'm on meds for a disease I contracted while deployed. But I'll be done with treatment in July and you'll still be a bitter young man?

Whats your excuse?

So we are retiring the 52 years olds now?

Can you imagine doing a tour with this guy?

Several here have.

Yep 80's "me" person, thats it!

They sent "me" to Bosnia in 96, me to Iraq in 04, and me to Afghanistan in 06. (F-ck "me"! I need a break)

And you?

So, what do they call your generation if I might ask?

How exactly do you envision your generation?

I'm asking man? I don't know?

Sorry about the marriage(s), we all have problems, it's just that your problems shouldn't be everyone else's problems.

Oh thanks man, I do appreciate your condolence, I'm sure it's sincere.

I've been married 25 years. I wasn't referring to myself specifically. I was trying to explain to you that alot of life happens that you can't control.

I've got no "beef" with you man. I'm just trying to enlighten you regarding life.

I have been every age you have and apparently far beyond.

Just think how smart you think you are right now. Are you done? Is that it? You aren't gonna learn another thing the rest of your life? Your there!

How old are you man?

Because the things I have experienced since I was 39 were awesome (3 Combat tours if your not getting it).

I think I would probably get along just fine in a cockpit with you man. Couple of beers and we would probably be pals.

I'm assuming you already know all about Tactical approaches into Bagdad and such. Hell man, we are both pilots, I'm sure we can find something to chat about.

You like woman right? I do! (If not, It's OK, thats your business)

Take care, Semore

<SLAP>

Semore, You are my new hero!!

Yeah, mine too!!

I just hope after all that you get to enjoy your retirement and not work yourself into the grave.

Yeah I'll buy you a beer, and then I'll share some stories too!

By the way, I'm not young!!

Wow! Are you an "inigma" or what?

Thanks Hawkered,

I really appreciate it. Especially since we may get paired when I get back (Hawker 800XP)

Not the response I was expecting.

Don't talk $hit though! Because I'm gonna find everyone of you guys that offered to buy me a beer when I get back!

Thank you as well corpflunkie.

Take care, Semore

Last edited:
40 ... that's the retirement age for military pilots whose flying tactical aircraft most closely resembles Professional Athletics...

Flying a transport category airplane does not require those type of reflexes and athletic abilities. it requires caution more than aggressive behavior of athletes and tactical attack aircraft. Traits more closely Resembling Pilots over 40!

Maybe transport category flying should require a pilot to be at least 40.

I'm not saying the over 40 crowd can't do the job. But, if we want the highest level of safety, why not retire everyone who's not at their peak pilot ability?

And, for NachoMamma's comment..."With all due respect, 'discrimination' isn't even remotely the issue here. The issue is safety...plain and simple. If this wasn't the case, then the FAA would not have imposed an age limit in the first place (no, it isn't political - that's just a conveniant excuse). Again, I'm not advocating that the age be 60, 65, 70, or any other number. That's for the data to justify (and yes there are many studies out there"

NachoMamma maybe should do a little historical research on the age 60 rule before posting such drivel. Hint: The original rule had zero to do with safety and everything to do with AAL's labor costs.

Yeah, but too many incidents like the other day with the King Air and the NPRM will come thick and fast down the pipeline. The issue will be driven by media and a general public that doesn't want an aircraft coming through their living room window, especially if they don't regularly fly in the first place and see it as unnecessary risk.

I have seen regular crew pairings in the past involving both crew members over 65.

NO AIRLINE IN THE WORLD ALLOWS THIS!!

Latest resources

Back