• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Man Laws...Pilot Laws

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But it's a lack of experience being expressed by a captain's hand on the flap lever.

If it's merely a matter of flap technique, an experienced captain would defer to the flying pilot, and not micro-manage.

If it's a matter of safety, the captain would be direct and speak up, not just hope the F.O. notices his "hint."

Hand on the flap lever is kind of a milquetoasty captain thing.

Exactly. Well stated.

Thou shalt not charge incidentals expenses to another crewmembers room without expecting an a$$kicking.

Thous shalt declare mini-bar usage when checking out or otherwise prepare for the wrath of the rest of the crew.

To which I would say, "my aircraft, flaps 1". Problem solved.

Why does the FO "need" flaps? Are you about to stall? If I am 1 knot fast to you put your hand on the thrust levers as a non-verbal cue? Put your hand on the flaps all you want, I'll just stare out the window and pretend not to notice. If you say "how about some flaps" I'll just say "no thanks."

The new procedure will be that the NFP wil keep their hands on both the flap handle and gear handle the entire flight. EMBPIC, the name sums it all up. I bet you were very popular with pro-standards then and now. We will now rename everyone on this site as FO & PIC just to make sure that we have a hierarchy established.

The new procedure will be that the NFP wil keep their hands on both the flap handle and gear handle the entire flight. EMBPIC, the name sums it all up. I bet you were very popular with pro-standards then and now. We will now rename everyone on this site as FO & PIC just to make sure that we have a hierarchy established.

Ok this is starting to get stupid. If you haven't figured it out yet, the captain sets the tone in the cockpit. If he/she wants to use the 'hand on the flap handle' as an indication that they want flaps then so be it. The funny thing is that I have hardly ever had to do this. Most guys I fly with do a great job. I used to fly with a captain that did this all the time. Sure it used to bug me but I sure as hell didn't say 'No thanks'. I asked for flaps to make him happy. I sure as hell didn't dwell on it.

Latest resources

Back