• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Making the jump to 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason I used that terminology is that I have just turned in my letter of resignation without having a bona fide job after my last day here.

I started submitting resumes and applications last Sunday in hopes that I might start getting calls within the month. So far I have one interview set up with a regional, and am hoping for a few more soon.

Gotcha. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. (Heck, I wasn't in your shoes, and I did the same thing!)

-Goose

And what about these folks hiring street captains? If I were to accept an offer, how would the pilot group view me?

The way I see it (keeping in mind I'm the newbie), if the airline cannot recruit pilots with enough time to upgrade and they need insurable captains, why not do it.

Who cares what a bunch of inexperienced "My mommy and daddy paid for my fast-track to the airlines program." pilots think of someone who actually took the road less travelled and gained a substantial amount of experience these pilots will never have?

go with where you want to live

Who cares what a bunch of inexperienced "My mommy and daddy paid for my fast-track to the airlines program." pilots think of someone who actually took the road less travelled and gained a substantial amount of experience these pilots will never have?

That was kinda my question. I was more concerned with the other captains at the airline as opposed to the F/Os.

The reason I used that terminology is that I have just turned in my letter of resignation without having a bona fide job after my last day here.

I started submitting resumes and applications last Sunday in hopes that I might start getting calls within the month. So far I have one interview set up with a regional, and am hoping for a few more soon.

That may not have been the best move, It's easier to get a job when you have a job. Your interviewers are going to "wonder" what happened at your last job. In this business quitting first is an unusual step, of course I don't know the pulse of the current job market, they might just be desperate for any live body and not care.

Problem with Street Capts is you will never get any seniority in base. Those pesky FO's you are flying with will continue to upgrade in front of you...so yes you go right to the left seat...but don't expect any QOL for a while.

Throw a resume over to Republic...Hiring like crazy, EMB170/145/CRJ200....good company, good people, good airplanes.

The street capt thing can be iffy. First of all like it was said before you will get no seniority in that seat and all of the "low time F/Os" will keep upgrading over time and keep pushing you down the capt list which means you could end up on reserve for years on the low end of the QOL. Also some companies have been known to lie to the street capt applicants about the number of F/Os on property that can upgrade and then those street capts usually dont get treated too friendly because the other guys think "you stole my upgrade" Although with the new hires these days I'd say the chance of the company lying about the number of qualified F/Os would be slim, but some of these new guys will think the "stole my upgrade" thing cause some of these 200 hour kids seem to be cocky as crap even though they really dont even know how much they suck.

As far as which one to pick...first off aviod Go Jet (do a search and it will take you 30 years to read all about it) but cliff notes on them is they are an alter ego carrier and are often viewed as scumbags. Also the QOL over there sucks and there are guys out there that will not let you jumpseat if you are a GJ pilot. You said being tied to a cell phone sucked so I'm guessin like everyone else you want the most time at home. Pick a regional that has a base where you live or want to live and apply to them first. Living in you base can have a 5000% effect on QOL. On reserve your nights "at home in your bed" can be something like 14 or 15 nights if you have 10 or 11 days "off" because you will always be home the last day of your trip/res day. If you commute you can cut the days "at home in your bed" down to as low as 6 or 7 with those same 10 or 11 days "off" because usually on reserve you have to commute into work a day early and you cant commute out of work until the day after you trip/res because it gets into your base too late to catch any flights home. Oh yeah almost forgot lets say you're on reserve and you dont get called out if you live in base then you just got an extra day at home...woohoo. If you commute then you spend all day rotting in a nasty crashpad....

I have to be honest and say I haven't read the regional board in quite some time, 'cause I thought I was set in the 91/135 world. Well, that's not the case anymore and I have very recently started applying to regionals.

Not knowing what the crap I'm doing on this side of the fence, who can I expect to give me a call? Last week I started throwing out resumes and got my first call today. I can actually say; that for someone saying they would never fly 121, I'm kind of excited about the new possibilities.

Thanks.......Rookie 121 guy

Well my friend. I not to long ago was in your same shoes. After doing 91/135 for almost 4 years i can honestly say that after making the change to 121 i have been very happy. Yeah i took a big paycut for the first year at my regional but the QOL i have now is priceless. Eventhough i am in reserve this is paradise compared to the 135 world. Flight bennies are great. My advice to ya is get with a regional that wont require commuting. Dont chase an upgrade, it'll come. If an airline career is what you seek then right now is the time to get in. PM me if you have any questions bud.

Latest resources

Back