Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
I have to be honest and say I haven't read the regional board in quite some time, 'cause I thought I was set in the 91/135 world. Well, that's not the case anymore and I have very recently started applying to regionals.

Not knowing what the crap I'm doing on this side of the fence, who can I expect to give me a call? Last week I started throwing out resumes and got my first call today. I can actually say; that for someone saying they would never fly 121, I'm kind of excited about the new possibilities.

Thanks.......Rookie 121 guy

Not knowing what the crap I'm doing on this side of the fence, who can I expect to give me a call? Last week I started throwing out resumes and got my first call today.

If you actually have an ATP I'd say you'll get a response from everyone you apply to, unless you applied to Regions Air, or you've only flow a caravan.

I would say right now, don't "throw" resumes around, because most likely everyone will call you back, and then you'll be faced with doing like five interviews in two weeks. You don't want to do that.

I'd say start with the place you want to go most. Apply, wait two weeks, and then apply to your next choice, wait two weeks, etc.

This is what happened to me: I applied to four airlines all within a couple days of each other; Air Whiskey, Mesaba, Eagle, and SkyWest. Eagle, Air Whiskey, and Mesaba called within the week. (Actually XJ called a couple times). SkyWest took two weeks. I set up interviews with AW, AE, and SKW. I ended up cancelling the AW interview because I decided that their bases wouldn't work for me, and Mesaba I never scheduled an interview with because they were basically "insurance," and already been given a conditional offer at Eagle by their second call. The day I got home from my Eagle interview, I had an email about a SkyWest interview.

Anyway, in days past you may have had to spray resumes anywhere and everywhere. While hiring is hot right now, I'd be a bit more surgical.

Oh, and just for reference, my times are 1200/110, BS degree, and I've never done anything but CFI. Also, I had an interview and offer with Comair earlier in the year, which I did not accept. I applied at ExpressJet back in May, and have still not heard a peep from them. I'm actually pretty excited for ExpressJet to call now, because I'll get to tell them that I'm in class/online somewhere else, and that they waited too long.... That is if it ever happens. :)

-Goose

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty excited for ExpressJet to call now, because I'll get to tell them that I'm in class/online somewhere else, and that they waited too long.... That is if it ever happens. :)

-Goose

Hahaha, like they would actually give a sh!t.

135 sucks. Did it for 3 years. Went 121 and took a 50% pay cut 2 1/2 years ago and have been happy ever since. QOL with no pager is great.

135 sucks. Did it for 3 years. Went 121 and took a 50% pay cut 2 1/2 years ago and have been happy ever since. QOL with no pager is great.

That is exactly why I've made the decision to start applying to the airlines. I am fully aware that I am going to take a 60%-70% paycut the first year, but believe you me when I say it is so worth not having to live your life tied to a cell phone 24 hours a day. I did the 135 thing for 4 years and I will tell you I will never, ever do it ever again.

I would say right now, don't "throw" resumes around, because most likely everyone will call you back, and then you'll be faced with doing like five interviews in two weeks. You don't want to do that.-Goose

The reason I used that terminology is that I have just turned in my letter of resignation without having a bona fide job after my last day here.

I started submitting resumes and applications last Sunday in hopes that I might start getting calls within the month. So far I have one interview set up with a regional, and am hoping for a few more soon.

Latest resources

Back