• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Making fun of ERAU guys is fun!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the interest of full disclosure before stating my opinion, let me say that other than a tech. school for aircraft mechanics, my formal education only went as far as a high school diploma. My flight training through the commercial licence was completed at a literal mom and pop operation at a small airport with sod runways. Instrument, multi-engine, and ATP ratings were all completed at acceclerated schools of less than one week duration.
I realize the limitations of this scheme and acknowledge the value of a formal education with organized and structured flight training. If my kid wanted to fly professionally, that's the route I would recommend to her.

After thirty years in this profession, during which time I have worked closely with more than twenty E.R.A.U. graduates, I have formed this opinion of the school; If you're a good pilot who is well prepared for a flying career after graduating from Riddle, its in spite of the school, not because of it.

unreal said:
What company is this? I'll add them to my list of companies I'll never work for.

Uhhh, maybe you missed it, but you don't need to add them to your list, they already won't hire you, so you don't need to worry.

Metro752 said:
I know three people who go to the school personally. They have all told me basically they will be hired for a flying job right after graduation, will have preference over other people applying and that ERAU Flight Training is the best in the CIVILLIAN world.

So when the students who go there stop being total spoiled brats, and the faculty stop lieing to them and making insane promises, CAPT program, etc maybe someone will have a little more respect for the joke of a school ERAU has become.
Their drinking the kool aide dude... give em 2-3 years after graduation, and some real world experience and they'll figure it out. You gotta understand that a lot of the guys there, Riddle is all they've ever known of the aviation community, and based soley on a decent reputation, they listen to all the propaganda, and believe it all. ERAU produces a decent product, I just wish the school would stop trying to tout itself as the end all/be all to the new kids.

Waldom's quote a few posts up sums it up quite well...

I agree with Waldom.....Riddle has helped me....but in the fashion Waldom described. Oh and thanks also to flightinfo, for trying to destroy the dreams of young aviators everywhere! :p

I've interacted with three Riddle grads recently and two of them had serious gaps in theit understanding of some basic concepts.

One even told me that he wasn't intrested in what I was trying to teach him about piston engines since he would be flying jets soon anyway.

Attitude goes a long way as well. I am very humble in my position and realize every day how much I DON'T know.

You are abosultly correct, and that attitude seems to be getting rarer amoung Riddle grads.

CaptainSpaz said:
I hate to bring this up and I am not going to point the finger, but come on fella... if you are going to defend your higher education institution it would probably be a good idea to proof your post a little better for spelling and grammar mistakes. Just a thought.

Who me? I didn't know the language police were out in force today. Flightinfo is the ONLY typing I ever do anymore. I've passed all the english courses in order to get a B.S. and now I just don't write much anymore. I'm sorry you think that it's just SO important to be a grammer god, but I just really don't care about being language perfect on this board with a bunch of fellow avaitors. Who REALLY cares?

Some kids do drink WAY too much Kool Aid at ERAU, but that's the same at most universities. It the age and lack of real world experience. They will find out soon enough, but if you want to get some very good knowlege about airplanes into your skull then Riddle is a pretty good place to do it. The flying, I'm sure you can get the same if not better instruction in other places for less money, but I think the courses on aerodynamics, aircraft preformance, W+B, modern systems, autoflight and others truly helped me have a better understanding of aviation in general. I also took many courses in ATC and the additional situational awarness I get from that is valuable every day I go to work. I seem to have a better overall understanding of the technical aspects of aviation then other guys I fly with. Does that translate into a better pilot? Not really, if someone sucks at stick work, has a bad attitiude, or has problems making decisions he might as well become a bank teller.

Last edited:
Erau

Wow. That was painful to watch. With some of those power ballad 80's classic rock songs it seems like you should be watching F-15's do low altitude high speed passes, not cessna 152's doing short field landing. I dont blame people for making fun of Riddle with those types of goofball movies out there. After 4 years there, I can say first hand there are alot of tools there.

After graduation I took my degree and got the hell out. I learned alot, got some good training, and didn't look back. It was a great school, but they are a little too high on themselves. I sat next to kids from ATP flight school with degrees from community college in my 121 ground school so was it really worth it?? Beats me.

Wow, I kind of liked the video but that could be the mild case of heat stroke from being outside mowing the lawn. I'm sure if I check it out later when my body temp lowers, I'll hate it like the rest of you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back