• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make The Call People

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Such wonderful and cheerful sentiments. You are such a mature individual to debate with.

I am pretty well set. Only because I made some good choices and was blessed with a considerable bit of luck. I don't have to work in this industry and I certainly don't think I'll have to work beyond 60.
I do however support the change to age 65. I have stated my reasons in previous posts.
If the age in the US is to stay at 60 then the US Government must also ban foreign pilots from working on US soil and in US airspace beyond age 60.

Ha....

Sorry if Im not politically correct for you on FI, but enough is enough. I personally don't want to work till Im 65 years old and who freaking knows what kind of penalties there will be with retiring early. Bottom line is that the "majority" of the pro 65ers are financial retards. Making over 200K a year and living paycheck to paycheck.... if that doesn't raise the red flag then nothing will... so now what? Oh lets lobby congress to change the retirement age.... screw the junior guys... I mean, I was junior once right?..... give me a freaking break....

debate this sh!t all you want, politically correct or not, but turn 60 and get the f&^K out of the way. You wanna fly till you drop... FINE.... Go do contract work overseas and or fly 135. I could give a rats arse what companies overseas do with their old gimps. This has been the rule since day one and should remain in tact.

Ps. I take back my comment on you old geezers choking on your turkeys this year.....

I hope its the turkey bones that actually get you to your final retirement spot.....:D.

I personally don't want to work till Im 65 years old and who freaking knows what kind of penalties there will be with retiring early.
That's a pretty crappy contract if your employer can just arbitrarily change your retirement.

Just to be fair-- it's been the rule since everyone legal to fly today has been in the game- but it wasn't the rule from day one. ALPA was against it when it first happened. And for good reason-- It was a big scam to chop off the most expensive, least productive part of the pilot group.

Bottom line-- how productive do you think 60-65ers are going to be? I tell you what- it's going to happen-- and i hope every one of them calls in sick a trip a month, vacation for another- and drops one b/c they don't feel like it-- So unless they're dumb enough to donate their sick and vacation youre talking about 2 trips a month at topped out pay. That doesnt seem too bad- or that it'll affect me as a young guy THAT much--

Pilot's as a whole are terrible in dealing with change.

Last edited:
I for one know a captain who was forced to retire at 60, guess what? No medical coverage, and his regional career and no pension (we should all be in the no pension club) made him search for a career for 5 years. So now he finds himself driving a truck in northern minnesota to pay the bills. I do not want to have to be forced to do that. So I am all for having our retirement age be 60. More pilots should look beyond the greed of a higher (QUICKER) seniortiy climb with a stalled changed age 60 rule. Yes, thats right, its your short term greed! Can other professionals work to 65? does the government give us benies at 60? No, this age 60 rule was to lower pilot costs and pilots agreed because of great pensions.........we no longer have this.

I was not happy that ALPA fought the change. Especially with euro pilots who were 65 flying in our airspace.

Does he own a car, why is he living is Northern Minnesota?

The Pig.

Just to be fair-- it's been the rule since everyone legal to fly today has been in the game
And that's all that matters. What the rule was in 1940 is irrelevant to all of us today.
i hope every one of them calls in sick a trip a month, vacation for another- and drops one b/c they don't feel like it--

And because of that, management is going to use it for leverage to further gut our contracts. "All of these geezers aren't flying and are still collecting a full salary. You young guys are going to have to give up something to make up for their lack of productivity." As if we didn't have enough problems. :rolleyes:

That's a pretty crappy contract if your employer can just arbitrarily change your retirement.

Well, I guess every airline has a crappy contract because it WILL happen everywhere, it's just a matter of time. As for you....I hope you don't fall flat on your face with your "retire at 52" plans because then I'm sure you'll be singing the same tune as we are.

Ok- but what's your point PCL?

Does anyone think it's NOT going to happen?

I'm 29- it'll affect me. How about us all recognizing that forces beyond us are pushing for it and getting behind the unions so that it's as much of a good thing as possible.

If i get your points - you're saying that we, as pilots and unions, ARE weak and there's nothing we can do about that, so we should unify, get strong and stop something that might expose that weakness? ? ?

I see a lot of flaming- but i don't see any real point to it.

Ok- but what's your point PCL?

Does anyone think it's NOT going to happen?

I think it will eventually happen, but I think we can continue to delay it for years to come.

I think it will eventually happen, but I think we can continue to delay it for years to come.
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.."

John Donne...1624

Last edited:
And how exactly does that apply to my previous statement about delaying the change? Donne's Meditation XVII deals with death, not retirement. Are you attempting to equate the two? Melodramatic much?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back