Make The Call People

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Networ-King

I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but I think we all need to make this call. I just did and will make it numerous times if I have to. Takes a couple of minutes to call the 2024561111 line and leave your comment with the operator. These old geezers are over there lobbying for this thing, so the least we could do is pick up the phone for a couple of minutes a day...... for a week ;).

Net

ps. Sorry if this was already posted before..... Now make the call.....

Fellow pilots,
Late Friday night APA was informed that the House of Representatives had adopted the Senate language in an effort to get the transportation appropriations bill to President Bush before Congress adjourns for the holidays. This bill contains language that, if passed, will change the pilot mandatory retirement age from 60 to 65.
In response to this threat to safety, on Wednesday APA will run newspaper advertising in USA Today and Washington, D.C. publications The Hill and Roll Call. APA has also issued the press release that we have appended to this message.
President Bush has stated that he will veto the bill and our legislative consultants in Washington do not believe that the Senate has the votes to override the veto — but APA still needs your help to ensure that President Bush does veto this bill. We are asking each of you to take a few minutes and call the White House and tell them that you want President Bush to veto the transportation appropriations bill. You may call the White House switchboard at 202-456-1414 or leave a message on the White House comment line at 202-456-1111.
APA National Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:
Captain Karl Schricker
817-302-2350/214-957-5275
Gregg Overman
817-302-2250/817-312-3901

ALLIED PILOTS ASSOCIATION URGES PRESIDENT BUSH TO VETO SPENDING BILL, PRESERVE AGE 60 RETIREMENT FOR AIRLINE PILOTS

Fort Worth, Texas (November 13, 2007)—The Allied Pilots Association (APA), representing the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines (NYSE: AMR), is urging President Bush to follow through with his stated intention of vetoing a transportation appropriations bill.
The spending bill includes language that would raise airline pilot retirement age to 65 from the current age 60 standard. Congress is expected to pass the bill sometime this week. The legislation will then go to the White House for final approval.
“By an overwhelming majority, our pilots support keeping retirement at age 60,” said APA President Captain Lloyd Hill. “They support the current mandatory retirement age based on numerous safety concerns, foremost among them pilot fatigue.”
Hill pointed out that the National Transportation Safety Board has linked pilot fatigue to 10 commercial aviation accidents since 1993 that killed 260 people. He also noted that the issue of pilot fatigue has generated significant public attention recently. An article in the Nov. 7, 2007 issue of USA Today reported that fatigue led hundreds of pilots, mechanics and air traffic controllers to make mistakes on the job, including six cases where pilots fell asleep in mid-flight. Pilots acknowledged that they “flew to the wrong altitude, botched landings and missed radio calls.”
Hill added that research by the Aerospace Medical Association has shown that older pilots have greater difficulty dealing with the physical demands of overnight flying and long flights across multiple time zones. The Federal Aviation Administration has conceded that older pilots’ accumulated experience does not compensate for the impact of fatigue on their performance.
“President Bush has cited cost concerns as the reason behind his plans to veto the transportation appropriations bill,” Hill said. “We agree the bill would prove costly—but not just in dollars and cents.”
APA plans to run newspaper advertising later this week that calls on airline passengers to make their voices heard. The union will recommend that travelers contact the White House to urge President Bush to follow through with his veto plans.
“We will let our passengers know that for safety’s sake, it’s the right thing to do,” he said.

Founded in 1963, the Allied Pilots Association—the largest independent pilot union in the U.S. —is headquartered in Fort Worth , Texas . APA represents the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines, including 2,246 pilots on furlough. The furloughs began shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Also, several hundred American Airlines pilots are on full-time military leave of absence serving in the armed forces. The union’s Web site address is www.alliedpilots.org.
American Airlines is the nation’s largest passenger carrier and fifth-largest cargo carrier.

# # #​
To view this email on the APA Website, please go here:

age 65 will happen.........deal with it.

And I will do whatever I can to delay it for as long as possible.

Just made the phone call.

age 65 will happen.........deal with it.

You sound really confident that this will pass...about to hit 60? I would not mind age 62 but in light of the NASA study that was released, I think a lot of folks are going to take a second look at this issue. That being said, I think it is tough to make an absolute assertion like you did. However, I wish you luck and hope life works out for you.

Let's drop it to 55 and make the skies even safer. No reason some grumpy 55 year old should be behind the wheel.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back