Majors to EJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cletislj04

Why are major airline pilots leaving there jobs to go fly at EJA? Is it because of salary, or quality of life? What makes EJA so much better than the majors? What are the pro's and con's of both? Thank you for reading my post. Thanks :rolleyes:

I am sure that no one, who is currently flying for a major, is leaving for Execjet. If you consider Eagle a "major" then yes I have heard of many leaving there for EJA. I am sure a furloughee or two has interviewed with EJA. But I really doubt it if anyone currently flying for AA,DL,NW,UA,CO,UPS,FEDEX is giving up their seat.

think about this for a second........

They are FURLOUGHED... big, big difference there. Nobody would ever leave while still employed unless they are facing furlough or flat out termination.

I know for a fact at least a couple of US Airways guys who are not scheduled for furlough went to an EJA interview; not sure if they were offered jobs or took them.

EAP...think about THIS for a second

If they are FURLOUGHED, they are still employed..just on furlough status, with recall rights, etc. They haven't "left" until they resign those rights. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't EJA require furloughees to resign their numbers? If that's the case, then they did indeed "leave while still employed", so I assume that in their mind for their situation, EJA is a better option than where they were. Everyone makes their choices based on what they believe is best for them at that time.

Last edited:
Easy...Easy now.....

Employment means paycheck, it's that simple. What are you gonna do, eat your dreams for dinner? They taste better with a paycheck anyhow. Any place that will pay you reasonably well and provide decent career expectations has the basic requirements to be a great job. I think EJA is indeed a better option than the street for an undetermined period of time, especially if you only have a small amount of time at a particular place with no other options and you have, say, BILLS TO PAY? Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but EJA is the right place for cetain individuals no matter what. But, you aren't going to see a 2 year AA or DL or UA guy walking into the flt manager's office and tell them they are leaving to fly for a fractional. I think that's the original question that was asked in this thread, at least.

I agree that you wouldn't think 2 year guys from AA, UA or DL would be going to EJA. My point was that the guys that are furloughed from various majors that are going to EJA, are giving up their seniority numbers and recall rights to do so; and in that sense, are leaving a major airline. But, like others on this thread, I don't think anyone that is currently flying at a major would give it up to go to a fractional.

If it makes any difference to those in this thread....I know a B737 Check Airman at US Airways that took a voluntary leave to go work at EJA. Sure it was voluntary but he felt that he wanted to be at a secure location with a decent seniority level in this ever-changing airline industry. With certain companies in $$ trouble (UA, AAA, AmWest) I completely understand the move to want to be secure. I know guys at EJA that had a class at AA in Sept that cx and they still want to go back....17 years to upgrade...when will that class be? nowhere in site...the last 208 recalled was due to seniority issues. RJ's possibly taking over US Airways routes....UA salary issues....America West and possible DAL interest? Mergers will happen, most CEO's have said, and George W is encouraging it now in this difficult time. How many mergers have occurred without a furlough to follow? Its tough times for everyone and everyone should follow what's best for them. Some take a chance and some play for security. Do what's right for you.

David
Ex US Airways
EJA BAe-1000

David:

I have 15 years in with US Airways and am not slated to be furloughed; I also have an app. in with EJA. Would I take it if they offered me a job tomorrow? Not sure although I would certainly take a good look. Issues you brought up like security and upgrade (I'm still far from the left seat after 15 yrs.) and also commuting - lot's of west coast guys here who would love to drive to work again, even in the gateway system.

Money isn't everything, and I think guys and gals from marginal carriers like ours are going to seriously consider jumping ship to EJA. If EJA gets the hoped-for pay improvment on their new contract, they'll be a very serious alternative to the majors.

Latest resources

Back