• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major intentions for regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bingo! There ya go Jenny. But at least RA didn't cut off your chocolate sundaes. You do still get thosevright? :)

Why yes turdy, yes they are available on all INTL long haul flights. I don't always eat one, but occasionally I do. You can add chocolate, strawberry sauce, Carmel, and whip cream, your favorite. There are also a "tasting of sweet treats" (cookies) and a selection of fine cheeses with fresh fruit. It's actually pretty darn nice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

But, you still caved on outsourcing, bottom line. Putz!

Uhhhh, 140 fewer RJs total. You are incorrect. Sounds like it was "curbed." Please explain how 140 fewer total RJs equals adding outsourcing. And, if you think you can just drop all RJ feed at once, well then you're obviously nuts. Now I can see why you don't like to debate, the facts get in the way. Don't get frustrated, just accept it.

Bye Bye----General Lee

You allowed bigger RJs, more seats putz. Regardless, you outsourced to bigger RJs whether more total seats or not, but I'm sure you'll let me know huh putz!

I see a plane with over 76 seats flown by mainline , 50 seaters gone and current regional flying 76 seaters with big turboprops and jets.

currently they have 22000 or so pilots and with the above assumption they will need 12000 to do the feed.

Now mainline will need an additional pilots to cover the over 76 planes flying which will come from cargo, charter, nationals LCCs and regionals.

cargo is down, national will consolidate next and less pilots will be needed there.....

lets see the next 24 months what happens

The rest of the contract was good too. Better sick leave, better scope on the INTL side and domestic (AK), 717s tied to additional 76 seaters with a guaranteed parking of 215 50 seaters within 3 years (good idea), plus almost a 20% raise and increase in DC fund contribution, lasting only 3 years. The 717s may or may not have come, primarily because the 50 seaters still had set leases through 2015. Had the deal fallen through, there would have been too much capacity with the 50s staying and then adding 88 717s. Overall, it added a nice pay raise, 600+ new Capt seats on the 717, better vacation and training pay, and ensured the dumping of inefficient 50 seaters. Not a perfect deal, but a good 3 year contract for sure. Profits are projected to keep going up barring something like another 9-11, and that means more pay and growth. Huge retirements will only help, including plenty of new hires.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Meanwhile, every Delta pilot I talk to b!tches about the gives in work rules taking away days off. They say they are working more days for basically the same pay. Sounds like a loss to me.

Uhhhh, 140 fewer RJs total. You are incorrect. Sounds like it was "curbed." Please explain how 140 fewer total RJs equals adding outsourcing. And, if you think you can just drop all RJ feed at once, well then you're obviously nuts. Now I can see why you don't like to debate, the facts get in the way. Don't get frustrated, just accept it.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Playing right into management's hand to continue to stave off the "pilot shortage" by allowing them to swap multiple 50 seaters at the regionals for a 76 seater. ( hint, they wanted the 50's gone, they are gas pigs per seat mile, just like the Avro was 10 years ago) Next up, age 70 (or unlimited if you pass a medical) Giving enough time for the next outsourcing game to take foot.

Meanwhile, every Delta pilot I talk to b!tches about the gives in work rules taking away days off. They say they are working more days for basically the same pay. Sounds like a loss to me.

Some reserves were screwed before FAR 117 came into play. DALPA gave away things like reserves used to be done for the month at 72 hours . The new contract allowed reserves to fly average line value (fluctuates between 72 and 77 hours depending on month) PLUS 15 hours, which means they now needed fewer reserves. They also added a day to certain months, like April now goes to May 1st, making it a "31 day month," allowing an extra day to keep flying to the ALV+15.

But, FAR 117 changed things. Short call reserve (2 hour call out unless in LA or NYC--maybe more depending on traffic) is assigned 6 or 7 times per month (can't remember, I haven't been a reserve for years) and on short call you are assumed to be ready for duty and adequately rested. For the 757/767ER it used to be a 24 hour callout, but the new rules made it 12 hours. Then the other days you are long call, but now the company wants you to call in accepting the trip 13 hours prior to duty in, allowing you to get that "10 hours of uninterrupted rest" before the trip. Problem is, the current contract says you only have to accept 3 hours prior. So, they don't know if you got the 10 hours rest. So, instead of taking the chance that the reserve might say he/she didn't get the rest, the company is handing out white slips and greenslips (double pay), because both of those awarded means you are acknowledging rest. So, reserves on long call aren't flying as much, and the rest are making extra pay (white slip) or double pay (green). Of course the company wants it changed in the contract, but it's in the contract. Negotiations are ongoing, actually aiming to make reserve better for pilots, and probably give 13 hours notice in return. Good times. But, not everyone has to bid reserve....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Playing right into management's hand to continue to stave off the "pilot shortage" by allowing them to swap multiple 50 seaters at the regionals for a 76 seater. ( hint, they wanted the 50's gone, they are gas pigs per seat mile, just like the Avro was 10 years ago) Next up, age 70 (or unlimited if you pass a medical) Giving enough time for the next outsourcing game to take foot.

Ummmmmm, no. First off, three times more 50 seaters parked compared to 76 seaters added. Right there that's a plus. Next, the 70 76 seaters were tied to 88 717s. The 76 seaters would only come if MORE 717s came. That plus better INTL scope and tighter domestic scope (AK) was a win.

As far as age 70 goes, if there is an increase, it will probably go the route of Canada, which has ALPA representing most pilots up there. According to the Air Canada Capt rep I talked to waiting for a mutual hotel in Europe, the Canadian Govt "imposed" new rules upon them. It is now age 70, but at 65 Capts move to the right seat of a narrowbody, or "cruise pilot" on a Widebody, that never takes off or lands. That still preserves upgrades (move over Capt), and really affects new hires. But, the AME I go to in ATL stated that at the big conventions they have discussed it, but every time a guy dies enroute (like the UAL 737 Capt over Boise that diverted as the Capt got CPR), it's another nail in the coffin, literally. Also, the family of the victims of the Colgan crash have been very active lately in trying to persuade Congress to not lift the new 1500 hour rule or age increases. It world be political suicide to go up against "victims families."

Bye Bye----General Lee

You allowed bigger RJs, more seats putz. Regardless, you outsourced to bigger RJs whether more total seats or not, but I'm sure you'll let me know huh putz!

Part of the deal Putz to break the leases (iron clad until 2015) was to swap several old ones for 1 new one. Also, 215 departing 50 seaters would leave huge gaps in coverage for feed to cities too small for a 717. Throw a 70 or a 76 seater on those cities, you add a first class section with higher fares, and a few more seats. You could run 2 CR7s instead of 3 CRJs, and the "first class" in the larger RJs would make those diamond medallions happier. It's just that easy. Also, a city that used to have 5 or 6 CR9s a day can now have 3 717s. That's great.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back