• Watchers 18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good lord-

Yeah, social politics aside- that's not a good assessment in te beginning of what ought to be a long hiring wave.

You guys don't sound like you have a chip on your shoulder- you just sound entitled with a penchant for excuses. 82% of all airline pilots are white males.

And somehow it's girls, gays, and minorities fault if you don't get a job as quick as you'd like??

Please. The world belongs to you.

I agree, I never thought female aviators as a group were much of a threat to my job prospects. Of course, it helps that my last name is weird enough where some people might think I'm a minority, and I'll be good to go.:laugh:

Go to a Tuskegee airman conference and tell them that. They're getting old and less number every year, so hurry. They'd like to hear your story for sure.

"82% of all airline pilots are white males."

Excluding Latino (and to a lesser degree Asian) men,......could it be that 99.9% of women and minorities don't want to do what it takes to become a professional pilot?????

Is that flame or what?!?!

So, 99.9% of white folks have what it takes???

Maybe HR at the airlines are trying to right the perceived hiring problem with most airlines! If you look back to the 60's and 70's when the big airlines were doing lots of hiring, who did they hire? For the most part, military guys with lots of experience and hours. As most of the kids of those vets came of age, 80's and early 90's, that's who the airlines hired, the kids of some of their senior captains!

Most of those kids and their fathers were white males.

Now think about where most kids of color where back during the 60's and 70's? For whatever reason, those kids were not going to school taking flying lessons or whatever it took to get to the next level! So you're right in saying they weren't qualified. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say those inner-city kids should not shoulder all the blame for that, you could say they were a product of their environment.

The next time you walk thru an airport terminal, look around at how many pilots of color there are, back, Hispanic heck let?s even lump in the American Asian pilots (I don?t mean Asian pilots working at American Airlines). Compare that number to all the white male pilots you see strolling thru that same terminal! Huge difference huh??

Pretty sad, considering the segment of the population that these groups represent!! Now let?s factor in the liberal folks in Human Resources, typically the people working in HR are there because they can?t work in line positions around the company, they seem to always want to make things right, (as seen thru their view). Those people see this inequity as a major problem and want to do whatever it takes to fix it.

So, at a lot of companies you see HR having more say over pilot hiring than the Flight Ops side of the house. Those pesky HR types have convinced management that those pilots aren?t hiring fairly and they (HR) should have the final say. And to prove their point, the HR types pull out the hiring numbers for the last 10 years and prove their point. The number of white pilots hired compared to those of a different ethnic background are staggering, especially during the 80?s and 90?s. So the powers to be, not wanting to be perceived as racist, go along with HR and allow them to pull all the strings, HR attorneys are way smarter than pilots!

That seems to be the way things are going these days, the attorneys are driving the way things are being done!! So how does an inner-city minority kid get a chance at being an airline pilot if he/she doesn?t know anybody that?s a pilot? Their father, uncle or next door neighbor wasn?t a pilot?? Well, that?s where the community outreach comes in, a lot of airlines, thru their HR departments are supporting/sponsoring aviation camps for those kids, giving them a chance to explore aviation and maybe spark an interest.

Groups like OBAP and WIA also are big sponsors of these camps and programs, with the hope of giving those inner city kids a chance. OBAP and WIA job fairs, those are a chance for minorities and women to meet and network with the airlines and HR, remember most of us didn?t have a relative or neighbor that worked for the airline. Heck, my first break for a regional job came from an OBAP contact, I didn?t know anybody in the industry. The job fairs are a way to draw in those under-represented groups and get a look at them!

As a pilot, I would rather have the Flight Ops side of the house making the hiring decisions for pilots, but I understand why HR has stepped in and forced some of the changes, I know at my airline, the Flight Ops side is slowly getting some of the power back, I hope they will continue to actively recruit females and minorities.

This job is not rocket science, I would rather fly with someone who is easy to get a long with, rather than the know-it-all genius that will drive you crazy for 4 days!

I see the PC nannies have swarmed in to squawk and squeal at the purveyors of humorous thoughtcrimes.

Nothing is more saddening to me than to see full grown men stand in the feminist pulpit and deliver their tedious lectures for them.

Yeah, because you're a big strong man, right livin?

You can't tie my laces little boy-
It's called integrity and men have it

I see the PC nannies have swarmed in to squawk and squeal at the purveyors of humorous thoughtcrimes.

Nothing is more saddening to me than to see full grown men stand in the feminist pulpit and deliver their tedious lectures for them.

Sorry you don't get it! Was not a squawk or rant, just a different perspective you may not have considered and clearly don't understand!!

Blacks comprise of 13% of the population, therefore a 13% pilot group makeup is sufficient. Anything more could be construed as reverse discrimination. Asians btw, are at about 5% according to census info.

Is 13% of your pilot group black?

That's more than 1 in 10. Mine's not.

Is 51% of your pilot group female then?

Latest resources

Back