• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Airlines NOT Using PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is the greatest thing in the world for management. A little short on pilots this month? No problem, they will just raise the target window 2 hours. It is like Junior Manning the entire company.

Jetblue has PBS. My first exposure to it. Took a while to get the hang of it. Sometimes your the windsheild..sometimes your the bug. Yes, it definately has areas for improvement...and our line guys have full access to it as well...not just a mgmt's toy.

I prefer PBS over the old school way of pre built lines...

Ha Ha, they switched because it was a concession.... Of course they haven't switched back, they haven't switched their old pay rates either.

AA:laugh:

That could not have been said better :)

SWA management would love to have BPS

PBS is ultra efficient.
No month to month, training, or vacation conflicts.
It will also schedule around any other event like FMLA, Mil Leave, Office Days, ALPA work, etc.

It will at a min change you staffing requirements by 10%. (given were we all are now with staffing)

That said, it also works well for almost all the pilots on a list. If the trips are built well, it does a decent job of assigning your Line of Time (LOT)

I agree that the ALV (Average Line Value) target can be moved up or down up to 10 hrs to deal with over staffing or understaffing issues. That is the same as original line awards. The difference with PBS is it tries to work around your parameters.

With some of the functions that PBS does, it is possible for a junior guy to get most of the requests they want in a non-holiday month. It will pick a trip off a senior pilot and assign it to the junior pilot unless the senior pilot has specifically asked for the trip.

If you do not have it, it will be a huge savings to the company if you allow it. Get a lot in return for it because it saves a boat load of money.

AA and SWA guys are right to be "suspicious" but wrong to just utterly dismiss PBS. It would be like "no, I don't want a sharper kitchen knife because then I might cut myself more easily." (?....)

PBS might be a very good tool that is light-years ahead of line-of-time style bidding...or it might be the equivalent of a "sodomizer" that makes everyone's life miserable.

It is all in how much of an active role that the union takes in both selecting the PBS product as well as overseeing its implementation.

At DAL we were heavily involved from the outset, and remain heavily involved now. No PBS bid runs are released until approved by the (union) PBS Committee. I don't know of one pilot out of 50 at DAL that would rather go back to our LOT system.

That said, I know that other airlines have used PBS to ramrod through a miserable world to their pilots, and I have no doubt that DAL would do the same if they could...but they can't.

And last, to all the PBS-bashers who wax eloquent about how wonderful LOT bidding is, I have two questions.

1. Is it really better sorting through hundreds of lines, just to find a handful that contain everything you want (which you probably won't be senior enough to get)? Then you have to go through infinite gyrations after the original bid awards, dropping, picking up, and swapping trips all over the place, just so you can get the trips and days off that PBS would have had a much better chance of getting you the first time around?

2. Why do you cling so firmly to lines of time...when it is MANAGEMENT that creates those lines! Why is the ability of a pilot to at least direct the creation of his own schedule as he sees fit criticized, while the ability of supposedly despised management to create your lines--as THEY see fit--celebrated? I don't get it.

I will bet that if SWA and AA pilots reluctantly agreed to PBS (not that that is going to happen, nor do I really care) and had a rigorous oversight process like we have at DAL, within a year or two, most guys would not want to go back. That said, it is a staffing concession, and I will admit, if I were an AA pilot, with tons of guys on the street, I wouldn't want to give mgmt any more efficiencies either.

John Q,

Very well said, but to recap the fear we have as pilot at AA. PBS will be bastardized by AMR management. I have spoken with many old TWA pilots and PBS worked great for them, the pilots also controlled it. AMR would never allow APA to control the scheduling metrics in PBS.

AA

John Q,

Very well said, but to recap the fear we have as pilot at AA. PBS will be bastardized by AMR management. I have spoken with many old TWA pilots and PBS worked great for them, the pilots also controlled it. AMR would never allow APA to control the scheduling metrics in PBS.

AA

In that case, I respectfully defer to your knowledge of your own management's behavior!

Latest resources

Back