• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MAF/pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't believe those things either, no do I take communion, nor do I pray to anybody's mother, yada, yada. Again, I suppose that puts you in the same bracket as the MAF pilot who ignorantly and incorrectly identified my beliefs (as if it were his business), and then condemned them. Police, Prosecutor, Judge. Sentenced. Thanks.

Good.

You might have noticed that I prefaced these assumptions with the words "if you mean."

If you mean something else, it is for you to articulate that, or risk being misunderstood.

I articulated a common set of beliefs regarding a group that is very large and describes themselves as being "Christian." If you failed to articulate your beleifs to a group that has a definite structure of doctrine based on the Bible (such as MAF), or if you mentioned a group affiliation that by name or doctrine is not Biblically based, then you can expect a conflict.

Not a prosecution, not a judgement, not a sentence. Just a recognition of a doctrine that does not agree with the Bible. You are welcome.

Use caution wherewith ye judge, for with what judgement ye judge, so therefore shall ye be judged. No?

Yes. Also:

2Corinthians 6:14 says "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?"

So, as believers, were are not to felllowship or partner with unbelievers, which explains the doctrinal requirement of MAF membership or organizations like them. We ARE to reach out to those who have not conformed to God's word. The "judgement" is His, and His alone. We are tasked with discernment.

Malachi 3:18 " Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.'

It seems without the benifit of such a discussion, the MAF pilot was quick to condemn, much like you. My own beliefs are quite irrelevant. I could be Southern Baptist, Progressive Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, LDS, Seventh Day Adventist, or even Buddhist (which permits one to be a Christian and still practice Buddhism with full compatability). You don't know. Yet without the benifit of that knowledge, so quick to judge, as you seem to feel you have all the answers.

Calling discernement a "judgement" is a defensive position, and not logically sound in the context of God's word. Since God's word is the foundation of this discussion, He is right. I just follow it. A Christian organization could not, using discernement, partner with several of the beliefs that you listed. That's Biblically based, and correct in obedience to His word. To do so would be, to use the popular term, ecumenical rather than Biblical.

So you see, I do know, because the inerrant Word has told me. If you have a better understanding, I invite you to show me where that understanding is based. Other than that, the MAF man may have been rude and behaved ignorantly, but he was not wrong to resist an ecumenical attitude in a Biblically based organization.

So tell me, shrine mercenary, who delivered you the power to interpret Calvary? Or to judge, in direct contravention to all counsel by Paul, and Christ? Further, when considering the ministry or the general interaction between the "Christian" and the "Gentile," was it not Christ who supped with the publicans, walked among the leppers, and who healed the ear of him come to take him to custody and kill him? (It was). For those "christians" who will not associate with others because of their (incorrectly) perceived beliefs...they're not very "christian," are they?

Well, despite your unjustifed judgement (see who is doing the judging here?) of "shrine mercenary" (whatever that means, it cannot be complimentary), believers are commanded to read and understand His Word, in prayerful guidance by God the Holy Spirit. Nothing is in contradiction to Paul or Christ.

Christ supped with publicans, tax collectors and such, because they needed a physician, meaning that He was there to minister to their spiritual needs, not to sit as an equal, or a social or business partner.

So, He was not taking them on, any of them, as disciples until He called them, such as he did with Saul of Tarsis on the road to Emmaus, and they believed in Him. Belief came first, partnering second. In that order.

To not partner, or be "unequally yoked" with unbelievers, is Biblical indeed, and unequivocal in its clarity. Nothing fuzzy at all. ALL of Christ's disciples and followers had repented of their former beliefs and activities before partnering with Christ.

That's the example I think you are missing.

I can't say if the devil is in your heart at all. I CAN tell you that if you reject the teaching of the Bible, you are rejecting the word of God, and God Himself, by extension. Even now, while days grow short, you are still called to kneel, and accept His word as truth.

That's up to you, and you alone.

Last edited:
www.JAARS.org-website will also get you into requirements.JAARS(Jungle Aviation and Radio Service)is the corporate flying arm of Wycliffe Bible Translators. My daughter is with Wycliffe and my Dad and Mom are retired WBT'r and JAARS flight dispatcher.

For Cat driver:

Religion has many facets, the Salvation Army can be judged by their helping the down trodden, the fanatics that flew into the twin towers are the other end of the spectrum.

While you can often judge good and evil by acts, you must be careful.

Some of the greatest evils of our time revolve around the supposed "equal rights" of some special groups, which have resulted in the near destruction of the American family, the driving of God from our schools, and the acceptance of aberrant behavior as normal by a so-called "modern" and "progressive" and "open" society.

Further, even the best acts have nothing to to with salvation. Ask your wife about Ephesians 2:8-9.

8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Just as we know, in American aviation, that only the office of chief counsel can interpret regulations of the FAA, we also know that, according to the Bible, only acceptance of Christ as personal savior brings salvation.

Not being nice. (attitude)

Not doing good things. (works)

Not wishing for the best. ("hoping")

Only belief in Christ is the Way.

MAF info, as to what they believe:

http://www.maf.org/about/doctrine.html

Last edited:
God expects us to be good stewards, and work with the framework of organizations that serve Him, and follow the rules and requests that they have arrived at in a prayerful manner.

I'm not going to say don't support an organization which helps to provide for the needs of others or helps to spread the Gospel. But I will say that there is no expectation of God for a framework of organizations. There is no Biblical instruction or pattern for formal christian organizations.

There were those who gave from their abundance, such as Aquilla and Pricilla who provided their home as a church; those who worked to provide for their own needs as Paul did making tents so that he would not be indebted to men, Acts 18:3, 2 Thess 3:8; and as he instructed Timothy to do also . There was also an appeal for the needs of believers in 1 Corr 16, 2 Corr 8:1- 9:15 and Phil 1:5. But there is no example of formal fund-raising or the personal soliciting of funds, just the generosity of the believers giving for the needs of others as the Lord would lead and as needs of others were made known. After all, it's all His anyway. He uses it to meet our needs, and provides an excess to distribute what is His to others.

Gallatians 6:6&10 give the priority.
1 Those who teach (preachers and missionaries)
2 Those of the faith in need
3 All who are needy

The Lord looked upon all in need and had compassion on them, and that should be our heart in giving.

Turbo, thanks for the links. Looks like I've got a few hundred hours to go before I'm eligible.

Anyone else here ever fly for MAF, JAARS, or similar organizations? Got any stories, advice, warnings, or other useful information?

But I will say that there is no expectation of God for a framework of organizations. There is no Biblical instruction or pattern for formal christian organizations.

No, but there is the example of Christ and His disciples, the very first "Christian Organization." All had become in one accord. They worked together to spread the Gospel. Along the way, many gave them sleeping quarters, food, and a little money for expenses, just like churches today support their missionaries by raising money.

Most Christian organizations look to be a benefit to nonbelievers as a method of outreach. While there is no prohibition against supporting non-Christian organizations (such as my support of the Air Safety Foundation) we need to recognize that previously mentioned warning against being "unequally yoked" together with nonbelievers. Specifically, we are led to seek out Christian fellowship, and welcome others to follow Christ.

Paying $5200 to fly crappy planes in crappy places

\\Is that pay-for-job or pay-for- training.

It is called churches supporting missions, and pilots who are called to do the work being willing to fly the planes.

Not everthing in life is done to place yourself in the next higher tax bracket. Some things are important enough to do them because they need to be done.

Latest resources

Back