MAF/pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TurboS7

I just completed a great 7 day trip. We flew to LAS with a load of pax then positioned to ANC. We were flying out of ANC for two days. Our route went from ANC to point X following the Alcan. We did the route 4 times. It was wonderful to be back in God's country, Mt. Logan was an awesome site and it was clear for most of the time.
We then had a 41 hour layover at Riverside, CA. I took the crew and we went to visit Mission Aviaton Fellowship at Redlands, CA. It was really neat as they have a display of the Super Cruiser that Nate Saint flew. They brought what was left of it from Palm Beach(where the 5 missionaries were killed) then renovated the frame. The display tells the whole story. The FA's loved all the artifacts etc. from all over the world.
Having flown for MAF for a little while I got to met some really great friends. I was very disturbed to find out that they are only meeting 40% of their needs for pilots. There are many Christian pilot on this board and we do owe at least one term of our lives serving the Lord. MAF requires an A+P for the out stations,but they find they do not need the A+P for those that are based at a multiple pilot base.All pilots must raise their own support but MAF will asist you in that, really you are raising prayer support which is vital to mission work.
MAF also has a program with their King Air 200 program that is in need of airline pilots. Airline pilot rotate to several fields doing mission work with the airplane for 2 to 4 weeks stints. John Hook is the contact for the King Air flying.

I remember very well being in Madang in Papua New Guinea, as a missionary. I visited a shack where a U-206 was so loaded that the gear seemed it would squat straight out. It was packed such that daylight wasn't visible one side to the other, with goods, people, and chickens. I approached the pilot, and enquired about the flight. MAF, he said.

I asked about minimums or requirements for hiring at the time, and he told me not to bother, that MAF wouldn't consider someone of my "theological affiliation." I replied that I'm Christian; doesn't a Christian organization like MAF see life as "love one another" and an opportunity to take all comers?

No, he replied. "We hate catholics, too. But we'll fly them if they pay us enough."

I walked away and refrained from spitting on his boots.

Service, my tucus. That man's nose was so high in the air, he was drowning in his own nasal mucus. The difference between he and I is that being a Christian, I'll throw him a life preserver.

Even if he can't pay for it.

Noses

Looks like you got your nose bent outta joint too, there, Avbug. Religion is like Love, (actually,it is love) no two people's religious experience is the same. Ya can't judge the MAF by one person's attitude. Every church I've ever been in has people who have the attitude that their religion (or their interpretation of their religion) is THE ONLY ONE. Don't let that bother you - it is only the person who is using religion as a self-worth booster. Fagedda 'bout it.

If it was Madang,(my sister Brenda Jackson, lived there for 5 years)that was Austraillian MAF. He was more than likely worried as he had busted every rule in the FOM and thought you were going to turn him in.

I contacted MAF in 1998 after doing a little flying and hearing a fundraising spot on Christian radio.

They never mentioned the kind of flying that could be done without the A&P certs in their emails.

Funny. You'd think they could be interested enough to help someone prepare through an on-the-job A&P training program, working on the very same aircraft they use. Never mind several years already spent building engines and such.

I would have been happy to take them up on such an arrangement.

Times change. What has really hurt them is the shutting down of Moody Aviation. Moody used to give JAARS and MAF exactly what they were looking for. My Mom and Dad said that JAARS was desperate for pilots also. Looks like they took Moody for granted and it has caught up with them.

Questions about these types of outfits:

I keep hearing "All pilots must raise their own support" type of things. I am assuming that you won't be paid and thus will have to live off donations from others. What are the realistic costs for this and is it doable?

Do they have a good language teaching program and do they expect you to come with some sort of rudimentary language skills beyond English?

Last and finally, how devout do you have to be to get in. Are we talking showing up to church every week, showing up to church functions and helping out, or leading the prayer group? Also, the groups that I have run into are Protestants of one sort or another, is there one that is affiliated with Roman Catholics?

Last edited:
Since you have asked a good question, and I have a few minutes before I have to travel into Philly for yet another on-camera audition (a bank commercial) I will give you my impression, based on missions I know of. Turbo will have more precise info, I'm sure.

First, there is belief. For most evangelical missions work, organizations look for a solid record of belief and service. You should be active in a local Bible church, doctrinally in line with the organization where you are seeking to serve. Most of the time, this means accepting and articulating that the Bible is the Word of God, inerrant and complete, that Christ is the Messiah of the Old Testament, and is the only means of salvation by accepting Him as personal savior and being born again. Obedience by baptism and the recommendation of other brothers and sisters in Christ would also be a good foundation.

When you go into missions work, you seek the support of your own church, along with others. Organizations such as Biblical Ministries Worldwide help with logistics and training of the missionaries, but mission families look to their home churches and other individuals for support.

I am saddened by Avbug's experience. Mostly, people work within organizations that share their core beliefs, and those of Avbug's religious affiliation do not share the same core beliefs about the Bible and the manner of worship that God shows us He wants in the Bible as do the majority of evangelical mission organizations. I believe these differences should certainly be handled more diplomatically, and on the whole, they are.

Does that help? I'll check back at dinner time.

Last edited:
Several years ago I was looking for information on where I could find 100LL in Africa before I committed to ferrying an airplane from South Africa to Europe.

I had previously flown the western side of Africa and was looking for information regarding fuel availibility flying the eastern side of Africa.

I contacted MAF by e-mail and communicated with one of their principals in I belive California, although I may be wrong about exactly where he was.

I received zero help or even suggestions and felt that the attitude displayed by this one person reperesenting MAF was bordering on insulting.

If that is Christianity, I was not won over.

Cat Driver:

Latest resources

Back