• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lynx CA Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would anyone take a Q400 CA job for $50/hour? QX has 400 FOs making nearly $50/hour. Ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who takes a $50/hour Q400 CA slot is waving their arms, jumping up and down, screaming: "I'm a whore! I don't understand the value of my services as the PIC of a 70+ seat aircraft."

I agree that the rate is too low, but it's just one variable in the equation. Based on your post I'm to assume that a displaced rj captain who just moved his or her family to Denver under the guise of a potential 12 year contract with f9, bought a house, has wifey enrolled in cpa classes, muffy in a new school, and junior in that fancy new swim class is a whore because he bails on qx because he or she does not want to commute to pdx to be on reserve for eternity!!! There is life beyond a seniority number, a pay rate and the value of a 70+ seat aircraft rate. I'm not saying they should not be paid more, because they should. I'm saying they may not be the whore you think they are because of their choices.

I agree that the rate is too low, but it's just one variable in the equation. Based on your post I'm to assume that a displaced rj captain who just moved his or her family to Denver under the guise of a potential 12 year contract with f9, bought a house, has wifey enrolled in cpa classes, muffy in a new school, and junior in that fancy new swim class is a whore because he bails on qx because he or she does not want to commute to pdx to be on reserve for eternity!!! There is life beyond a seniority number, a pay rate and the value of a 70+ seat aircraft rate. I'm not saying they should not be paid more, because they should. I'm saying they may not be the whore you think they are because of their choices.

Point taken. "Whore" was poor choice of words and one I normally don't make.

I would hope that someone in the situation you describe would have better opportunities than going to Lynx for $50/hour. But as you say, perhaps, all things considered, they don't.

I apologize for the hyperbole. I stand by my assertion that $50/hour for a 400 CA is bad for the industry. Whether it is good for you, or anyone else, I guess is a question for your own conscience.

Point taken. "Whore" was poor choice of words and one I normally don't make.

I would hope that someone in the situation you describe would have better opportunities than going to Lynx for $50/hour. But as you say, perhaps, all things considered, they don't.

I apologize for the hyperbole. I stand by my assertion that $50/hour for a 400 CA is bad for the industry. Whether it is good for you, or anyone else, I guess is a question for your own conscience.

Agreed.

I agree that the rate is too low, but it's just one variable in the equation. Based on your post I'm to assume that a displaced rj captain who just moved his or her family to Denver under the guise of a potential 12 year contract with f9, bought a house, has wifey enrolled in cpa classes, muffy in a new school, and junior in that fancy new swim class is a whore because he bails on qx because he or she does not want to commute to pdx to be on reserve for eternity!!! There is life beyond a seniority number, a pay rate and the value of a 70+ seat aircraft rate. I'm not saying they should not be paid more, because they should. I'm sayin g they may not be the whore you think they are because of their choices.

A displaced RJ Captain could easily hold a Q400 Capt spot in SEA or PDX and not be on reserve for an eternity and they would definitely make more than 50/hr. If they make the jump to Lynx they are gambling the seniority they have already earned at QX and would take a pay cut. I really don't see that happening, do you?

A displaced RJ Captain could easily hold a Q400 Capt spot in SEA or PDX and not be on reserve for an eternity and they would definitely make more than 50/hr. If they make the jump to Lynx they are gambling the seniority they have already earned at QX and would take a pay cut. I really don't see that happening, do you?

It wouldnt surprise me to see someone stay in Denver. Maybe not with Lynx, but who knows. I hear they have a good truck driving school out here.

...CO has 1st year 757 FOs making $30/hr, and I think we agree that 757 FOs are worth a he!! of a lot more.

Actually $30/hr seems just about right for a few of them.

P.S. No I'm not bitter because my first year FO from last year has flown me home in the 737. Not at all.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back