• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LUV posts 4th quarter/full year profit.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gotta disagree with you waveflyer. Our hiring process is flawed, but just like our procedures and FOM are outdated and need change, "the way we've always done it" blindly marches on.

Not sure about earlier years, but in last several years SWA has only hired about 1/3 of all pilots interviewed and if you did not have the type you had a very slim chance. Yes it happens, but rare.

Don't mean to give you a hard time, bro, just another perspective. "In the last several years" before the music stopped over here, what other major was hiring in any real big numbers? If the stack of non-type apps is way taller than the stack of type apps, where would you start? Supply & demand....

So, I agree with Jose. The type is an old requirement that has just lingered. When we hire again, type requirement should go away and hiring percentage is bs and should go up. What a waste. Seeing how the tool % is the same at SWA as anywhere else, what are they really accomplishing?
I've been with three other carriers before SWA and commuted on plenty of others. I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement....with the possible exception our PHX brethren. :p

And why the type anyway? Would capt upgrade be any different than current program without it?
What CaptWidgeon said...

So, I agree with Jose. The type is an old requirement that has just lingered. When we hire again, type requirement should go away and hiring percentage is bs and should go up. What a waste. Seeing how the tool % is the same at SWA as anywhere else, what are they really accomplishing?

And why the type anyway? Would capt upgrade be any different than current program without it?

I think the number of tools are alot lower at SWA just a couple like you. I am sure when you up grade you will be even a bigger tool. I feel for anyone who has to fly with your bitter self.

Whataburger and stopNT,

I have worked a few other places as well, and I still say I have flown with the same % tools here during the past four years as I did elsewhere. The OAL guys/girls in my class all agree with me. So I guess we will all just respectfully agree to disagree. I know it rocks the ship to not promote the "we're the best" mantra, but same mix of mostly good dudes and pilots at SWA as anywhere else.

As far as hiring goes, you said yourself wburger that you know some great guys who have been turned down. Same here. Yet somehow a handful of "not so great" (like me - right slacker?) slip through the cracks. So is the double secret, super selective "selection board" process working?

And length of new hire training. Maybe there is less classroom/sim time required, but OAL new hiring is not "a few months" like CaptW says. Seems like same length at SWA as other places.

Type requirement needs to go. After all, SWA doesn't even trust the FO to land below NP mins but a low time FO at a regional can fly and land an approach down to cat I mins. Do we really need the type operationally or is it just a passed along initiation fee?

Last edited:
I agree with Ben.

SWA is my 3rd. We have about the same % of tools here as my previous two. The difference is that the older I get - the less tolerance I have for them.

Gup

When we hire again, type requirement should go away

Think it affects the insurance rates, I know a type doesn't mean crap if you don't really know the A/C BUT tell the insurance company that! I'm sure someone in big 'D' has sold the insurance company that...IF anything else, SW has the best PR/ sales department out there!

KBB

WN is my 5th. Tool % is higher here. But the "good eggs" are really good so I guess it evens out.

I have been told the "every pilot has a type" method saves SWA a fortune in premiums and allows for a larger liablility coverage amount.

Profit sharing % announced at the PHX MTF?

5th airline- tool % is equal and greater than at a regional- (kernals ya know ... ;-). )
but what is different is the level of bitterness - much of that is environmental- but a lot isn't
there's a lot of talk of Swa becoming just like all the others- how do we stop it- I can't put it all on Gary - a huge part of the culture is up to us to maintain-
if we don't require the type - how else do we get that sense of investment in the pilots?
All interview processes are pretty flawed- how would you change it?

I respect your opinion as an OAL guy myself- I just know I'm pretty happy here and want that to keep going

All interview processes are pretty flawed- how would you change it?
amen to that! i'd heard horror stories about united back in the day. american had a $100 or $150 application fee. and the delta guy, well...all airlines have their quirks.

I have flown at a few airlines now. I believe we have a much lower % of guys that are unpleasant to fly with.

Currently flying with a TOOL. Am I still allowed to log dual received? Guy can't even fly at the level he wants me to.

He is lucky that I am better man then him. See, I honor the FOM callouts +10 knots and -1 dot. He likes to callout "airspeed" when I'm +4 knots and "glideslope" when I'm 1/2 a dot (while on the VASI - VISUAL!). I'd school his a$$ with his own MADE UP callouts. He is a pu$$y.

Welcome to my top 3 list! :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back