• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LUV posts 4th quarter/full year profit.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any idea what constitutes "competitive" mins at Southwest? I'm thinking of getting my type this summer in anticipation that things might pick up before too long. But before I plunk down my $7,300 I'd like to make sure I'm at least in the ballpark.

Right now I'm at about 253.7 total time, but eighteen of it's cross-country night, so ...

You're over qualified. You should seek employment with the US Government. I'd start with Tanker Clowns unit; you could probably move right into Stan/Eval.

You're over qualified. You should seek employment with the US Government. I'd start with Tanker Clowns unit; you could probably move right into Stan/Eval.

Awesome! Did I mention I have an on-line masters degree in aromatherapy? Think that'll help?

As PD said
"we do not care what others think about how we do business"

I personally like the type requirement- I don't want just anyone to get the job- I want the pilots hired to want to be here for more than just the $$. To get it into their head that it's not just about what you can take from the company- but what you can give. We have the happiest pilots in the world - I think the reason for that is that we are a part of something- invested in- that's bigger than us. I don't want it to be easier AKA "fairer" - I don't want someone who feels they are 'entitled' bc they shelled out cash for the type- I want pilots who are willing to interview 2-3 times and keep at it- this business plan only works bc everyone in it cares a LOT-
if you think that's corny- I don't care-
I passed my first try- but I was sincere when I said I'd be re-applying if I didn't get it- asap.
I believe pilots who continue to show up and work for corrupt managements are selling out much more than anyone who buys a type to have a chance at southwest. Before you go badgering wn's interview process- maybe you ought to question day to day life at most other airlines. And why such a huge majority of us are so unhappy and keep showing up for it.

Gotta disagree with you waveflyer. Our hiring process is flawed, but just like our procedures and FOM are outdated and need change, "the way we've always done it" blindly marches on.

Not sure about earlier years, but in last several years SWA has only hired about 1/3 of all pilots interviewed and if you did not have the type you had a very slim chance. Yes it happens, but rare.

So, I agree with Jose. The type is an old requirement that has just lingered. When we hire again, type requirement should go away and hiring percentage is bs and should go up. What a waste. Seeing how the tool % is the same at SWA as anywhere else, what are they really accomplishing?

And why the type anyway? Would capt upgrade be any different than current program without it?

i'm sure there's some kool-aid logic in requiring the type, but a few other points i've heard i do believe make sense.

if we come in with a type the class we take at training is basically a recurrent class. that allows our training to be shorter than if we came in cold. how long is initial at other carriers? and seriously i'm asking, i don't know, but if i remember correctly ours was 6 weeks??? i thought other carriers was more like a few months. that saves the company $$$, which is fine with me if it means helping keep the company around longer so i have a place to get a paycheck. it get's me on the line quicker, which again is good for the company, but also good for me. i can start picking up flying, and as a probie get 2nd yr pay on some things. does it help the company, yes, but i want the company to be successful.

how long is capt upgrade? both at swa and other carriers? i already have the type when i start upgrade so again i'm thinking my upgrade class is shorter than were i starting cold. shorter upgrade class, same logic as above, saves the company $$$. get's me online at capt pay quicker, yada-yada-yada.

i'm here, yes. i had the type before i was interviewed, i took a chance and won. but the company needs pilots just like i need a job, it's 2 fold. i don't have a heartache about requiring the type, i think it's good for the company. i'm not a kool-aid drinker, maybe a sipper. i'll push chairs, buy the crew coffee or choc just because, but i like where i work. and i want it to be around for a while.

Gotta disagree with you waveflyer. Our hiring process is flawed, but just like our procedures and FOM are outdated and need change, "the way we've always done it" blindly marches on.

Not sure about earlier years, but in last several years SWA has only hired about 1/3 of all pilots interviewed and if you did not have the type you had a very slim chance. Yes it happens, but rare.

So, I agree with Jose. The type is an old requirement that has just lingered. When we hire again, type requirement should go away and hiring percentage is bs and should go up. What a waste. Seeing how the tool % is the same at SWA as anywhere else, what are they really accomplishing?

And why the type anyway? Would capt upgrade be any different than current program without it?

It's unfortunate that 2/3 of interviewees got turned down. That's how it goes. I had a few really good buddies get turned down. No idea why they got turned down, and all had types. That being said, there is nothing wrong with turning guys away. The hiring process will determine who works hard to keep this airline around for a few more decades, and who will be in our right seat someday. A little bit of discretion is appreciated.

I have flown at a few airlines now. I believe we have a much lower % of guys that are unpleasant to fly with.

Getting the type shows desire, the ability to go the extra mile to get something, and the ability to put everything on the line to get what you want. Anyone can fill out an app and hit "send." The dedicated and determined will get the type.

Latest resources

Back