• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LUV posts 4th quarter/full year profit.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a proud SWA pilot who wishes the type requirement would go away. Ive seen to many good guys get turned down (many have seen this). With an interview process as imperfect as it is, its not fair to ask someone to shell that out.

If we took the type question off the application, eliminated it from how interviewees are chosen, and disallowed interviewers from considering the possession of the type in the selection process, I have not much problem with requiring the type AFTER the job offer. Its easily paid back when 1st year pay is compared to peer airlines. It needs to be removed from the selection process.

Sending guys out to drop 8K so they have a "better chance" is wrong in my opinion.

For the record, I bought mine before the interview and was hired the first time around. It takes MANY guys 2 or 3 tries. Too many. In most cases, it is more likely that SWA is mistakenly over looking them on their first attempt, rather than them "changing for the better" and becoming "worthy" before their subsequent interviews. This wastes our time and money, and theirs.

Last edited:
I am a proud SWA pilot who wishes the type requirement would go away. Ive seen to many good guys get turned down (many have seen this). With an interview process as imperfect as it is, its not fair to ask someone to shell that out.

If we took the type question off the application, eliminated it from how interviewees are chosen, and disallowed interviewers from considering the possession of the type in the selection process, I have not much problem with requiring the type AFTER the job offer. Its easily paid back when 1st year pay is compared to peer airlines. It needs to be removed from the selection process.

Sending guys out to drop 8K so they have a "better chance" is wrong in my opinion.

For the record, I bought mine before the interview and was hired the first time around. It takes MANY guys 2 or 3 tries. Too many. In most cases, it is more likely that SWA is mistakenly over looking them on their first attempt, rather than them "changing for the better" and becoming "worthy" before their subsequent interviews. This wastes our time and money, and theirs.

Thanks for posting what I really believe is the truth! If "Buying" a type is required for the job SWA should at least interview and hire BEFORE the pilot goes and spends this money. I'd have a lot less heartburn if they did it this way.

Thanks for posting what I really believe is the truth! If "Buying" a type is required for the job SWA should at least interview and hire BEFORE the pilot goes and spends this money. I'd have a lot less heartburn if they did it this way.

I know this has been said before, but SWA does not require a type to interview. It may have been a hard requirement sometime in the past, but not now. I interviewed without a type, and was "invited to continue the hiring process." I had to get my type before entering the pool for a training class. Admittedly, you could argue the "hire" point as that technically doesn't happen after you have been offered a training date.

The problem is that there have been so many guys/gals looking to interview that they were willing to shell out the $$ to get the type in order to stand out from the rest of the crowd. Unfortunately, when everyone else does the same, it becomes a de-facto requirement to have a type.

This "de-facto requirement" waxes and wanes depending on the hiring cycle. When the People Dept starts looking at resumes, they will naturally go to the stack of folks meeting all the qualifications AND with a type. When that stack gets light, they will pull more from the "no type" stack. Given that it will be a while before hiring starts, you can imagine how big the "with B737 type" stack will be.

I do tend to agree that having a type should not influence how someone is picked for an interview.

Last edited:
Raj, I'll say it again......most people do not care if you have "heartburn" over the type. If you don't like it....don't get it.

As PD said
"we do not care what others think about how we do business"

I personally like the type requirement- I don't want just anyone to get the job- I want the pilots hired to want to be here for more than just the $$. To get it into their head that it's not just about what you can take from the company- but what you can give. We have the happiest pilots in the world - I think the reason for that is that we are a part of something- invested in- that's bigger than us. I don't want it to be easier AKA "fairer" - I don't want someone who feels they are 'entitled' bc they shelled out cash for the type- I want pilots who are willing to interview 2-3 times and keep at it- this business plan only works bc everyone in it cares a LOT-
if you think that's corny- I don't care-
I passed my first try- but I was sincere when I said I'd be re-applying if I didn't get it- asap.
I believe pilots who continue to show up and work for corrupt managements are selling out much more than anyone who buys a type to have a chance at southwest. Before you go badgering wn's interview process- maybe you ought to question day to day life at most other airlines. And why such a huge majority of us are so unhappy and keep showing up for it.

Last edited:
Let's just shut this down...

In the 1960'-70's-80's MANY ( if not all ) of the top tier majors had a hard requirement of a 4 year college degree.

No sheepskin...NO interview. Period.

Guess what? Many aspiring airline pilots went out and forked out many more thousands of dollars on a B.S. or B.A. than anyone has ever been spent on a 737 type rating.

There is no difference whatsoever, and this PFT/SWA idiocy is a fool's argument perpetrated by those whose grapes went sour.

End.

YKW

Latest resources

Back