Luggage question for you Frac Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

highflyer

I am all done with training and will be starting IOE with NetJets here in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Samsonite hardside pullman and am guessing it will be too small for 6-7 days on the road. Any thoughts on the Travelpro series of rollerboards? I am looking at the 22" Expandable Suiter Rollerboard for $179 on one of the websites. (Free shipping even) I am on the Falcon so space isn't the issue! How about commuting and dragging it on the airlines along with a laptop attache? Thanks in advance for your responses! HF

Luggage

After destroying several inexpensive suitcases in my first 2 years doing this type of work, I decided to purchase a good, sturdy bag. I saw that several pilots had metal framed bags that had lasted though many years of commuter service, and still going strong. I purchased one about a year ago, and it was the best piece of luggage I have ever owned. Go to their website for more info. They are expensive, but worth it. The standard size is great for 4-5 day trips, the International size is better for the longer trips.

http://www.purdyneatstuff.com/

I have had my bag which is one of those airline ones for 5 years now, had to have it fixed 1 time when Delta crushed it and they shelled out the $150 to fix it, but I also have the snap on bag that goes on the front, let me say this, when that bag was in the shop, I was able to make it 8 days on the road out of a little duffle bag, and I still do that, I have a change of undies, and socks and t-shirts, for every day, carry 1 pair of pants, and 2 work shirts, plus 1 polo shirt, and I also carry a pilot bag that has my manuals and paperwork and my IPAQ Pocket PC in there so that I don't have to carry a laptop anymore(does everything my laptop does). You guys that need a new change of clothes for each day are nuts, half the time you get in late to your destination and don't need to change anyway, if you got rid of all of that clothes and packed your bag like a man insted of a woman, you could make it in a small bag for 7 or 8 days, I find it much easier to get through security and much easier to pack, I do my laundry, add the socks, undies, and t-shirts and I am done, I just wear my polo shirt with my dress pants and keep everything simple, you guys that have 3 bags and complain that you can't make it for 7 or 8 days are idiots, what do you need? that you can't pack in 1 bag for a rotation, I guess us ex-military types know how to pack lite!!!

When I went to work for the airlines a relative bought me a Briggs & Riley bag and it's awesome. I've had it for over 4 years now and it's still in great shape. On top of that I flew the ATR for 2 years and on every legs it had all kind of junk packed on top of it - ALWAYS!!

The Briggs bags run about $300+ but it's well worth it. Also, mine has a tri-fold garment secrtion so I can hang all my extra shirts, pants, polo shirts, tie, etc.....and leave the bulk of the area for other stuff so packing for a 5-7 day trip is a little easier. It's still hard to pack 7 days of stuff in a 23" bag but its easier with this bag than with others.

Have fun in the Falcon and don't turn your nose up as us little Cessna drivers!! :D

http://www.briggs-riley.com/

I've had a ton of bags.

JP can back this up. I was on the road my travel pro broke and I bought a 50 dollar 26" monster bag. I bring everything i need with me on the road, winter and summer clothes.

I'm waiting for the bag to die but for 50 bucks it's still going strong.

I check my bag everywhere I go. And the great thing with Sept. 11th is that when the company calls and says get off the plane we have a new plan. I can actually go to the desk and say i want my big ass bag back it's the one with all the duct tape. Duct Tape makes even the dumbest ramper pick it out.

Just a thought I used to carry on. Now i just check and say screw it.

I've bought 2 samsonite hard shell bags in the last 10years. 8 years of commuter and 2years corporate. Samsonite has replaced the bag after damage 3times for no charge. The older models had trouble with the feet stands and the corners cracked easy. The newer bags are better but they have a small charge to repair. I can carry about 5 days clothes but the frax are 6 and 7 days but you can make it. It takes more clean pilot shirts at the frax. It stores easy in the overhead bin and the aircraft. I highly recomend samsonite.

machspeed

I started out at EJA with the Samsonite hardside. It is a great bag for short trips, but....it just does not have enough room for 6-7 days on the road. I switched to a Travel Pro 22" bag immediately and have been pleased ever since. I even have a T.P. Crew3 waiting when the current one wears out. They are good bags and have a great warantee.

22" is the largest size the airlines will accept (On paper anyway...).

Smellycat, is that you?

I guess wearing 2 shirts for eight days would give a guy a nickname like smellycat! I guess it depends on the aircraft you are on also. I know on the ultra after working my but off all day in a non APU cooled aircraft my shirt is not going to cut it for a second day. Also on the ultra I can't see how I would ever have time to do laundry to wash the 2 shirts. On the positive side, keeping busy everyday does cut down on the casual clothes you have to pack, because you are always in uniform if you aren't sleeping!

On the luggage, I have had a travelpro crew 2 for the past 7 years, mostly flying freight. It has held up pretty good, but is due for replacement. They have improved the newer ones I have seen. Most the problems I have had have been addressed in the newer Crew 3 and Crew 4 series. I do think my next bag will be from Purdy Neat Stuff though. They look like a solid bag.

Washing shirts

Also on the ultra I can't see how I would ever have time to do laundry to wash the 2 shirts.

There is a quick and easy way to wash shirts if you need to. You can carry a small container with some powder detergent in it(just act suprised and say "that's not mine!" when the airport security people find it during a bag search). Dump some in a sink, fill it with water, and hand wash it for a few minutes. Rinse well, and then hang it in front of a heater or a/c vent. It should be dry within an hour or so.

It's not a way I would normally want to wash my shirts - but I have done this many times in my career when necessary.

Latest resources

Back