Lower Mins @ ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tarzan

Interesting letter from SH this morning about reducing times. It seems that there are many who do not meet the upgrade criteria right after 3+ years. So the times have been dropped to 2500 TT. Funny how hiring guys at 250 TT is starting to show now.

I'm not knocking those guys either. Had I been able to do one of those programs, I would have as well. But I don't see where there are that many unqualified guys at the airline who don't meet the time requirements. Very odd after 3 years.

Three years ago ASA was pretty selective in their hiring, so I can't imagine anybody would not have the time to upgrade by now. However, I suppose it would be possible if you flew nothing but naps or sat reserve for awhile.

Still, ASA's mins of 3000 TT were pretty high compared to the industry. SkyWest has always been 2500, and if I'm not mistaken, ExpressJet and CHQ were upgrading guys at ATP mins for awhile.

Actually, his letter specifically referred to the number of pilots that didn't meet the ASA requirements because of their military commitments.

Actually, his letter specifically referred to the number of pilots that didn't meet the ASA requirements because of their military commitments.

I have received a lot of requests via email and in recurrent class visits to look at changing the current upgrade minimums as listed in the contract (24.G.6.d). I understand some of you were not able to build flight time to meet current hour requirements due to the long tour of duty on reserve but you have been with ASA 3+ years. I value your time with the Company and believe the hour requirements can be lowered.
Effective Friday, May 25 and through December 31, 2007, the following are the upgrade minimums:
  • ATP written passed
  • Current 1st Class Medical Certificate
  • 2500 hours total fixed wing pilot time
  • 1500 hours total fixed wing multi-engine pilot time
  • 500 hours as a pilot with the Company.
Naw, they sat on reserve too long and didn't fly the normal 80-85 hours a month.

What 3+ year FO is still on reserve?

Military reserve duty, is what he is referring to.

When I was at ASA, I sat reserve for a hair over three years as an FO. This is where I learned to absolutely hate the company.

Latest resources

Back