• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Time Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flight instructing will vastly improve your judgment and skills and looks much better on your resume than mindless banner towing.

I banner towed - and it was more precise flying on the envelope and you always had to keep an eye out for things that would kill you other than some "mindless student"

Banner towing improved my stick and rudder skills... after all, wouldn't actually flying every day for 4-6 hours or more be better for you than teaching some guy to do turns around a point...

If I had the option, i'd go with the banner towing all over again - got 700 hours in 4 months and went on to flying C340's 421's and SA227's right after, it's not a bad stepping stone at all.

Good luck.

Fly some jumpers, It's low time, fun and skydivers are a great bunch of people.

There are a few pilot gigs on Dropzone.com

CDOGG 700 hours in four months? You sure you are not exaggerating a bit? That would be flying at least 6 hours a day without a single day off for 4 months. Thats assuming there was not one day you missed due to weather, mechanical ect.... and there is no way flying in day VFR in the same area made you that good of a stick and rudder pilot. I did both and I learned a million more things flight instructing than I did banner towing you really cant even compare them.

I dont like instructing cause im not good at it. Ive tried it, but I wouldnt want me as an instructor. Im WAY better at just flying the plane.

This has to be flame.....if not your a complete elohssa....

Instructing;

Pay your dues, scare the crap out of yourself a few times, and guess what you might actually learn something that may pay dividends later in your career. Wether you go guard/regional or a mainline fleet someday....instructing builds foundations of learning that serve well later in life. To teach is to know...

Last edited:
I believe that pilots who were never a CFI are often very short on patience and lack insights into the weak areas of a new hire. Or they simply don't care. You will ultimately be a Captain and all those CFI hours will matter a great deal.

There is another side to it. You are introduced to aviation culture and tradition via the CFI route. You will pin the shirttail of your first soloed student on the wall. Tired old jokes from "Airplane" and "Topgun" get passed around. Wretchedly bad coffee. Preheaters. High-wing versus low-wing. Owner-pilots that will scare you sh#*less. That near-miss.
Recycled stories that make the rounds every year.

If you are very lucky, you'll meet some truly great instructors and something they taught you will someday save your life. You won't forget that. I still instruct and it keeps me rooted in my beginnings. You will not regret it.

5000 Hours, 5 type ratings, a cushy salaried corporate job, and somehow I still manage to instruct more then fly the jets....There is a reason I fell in love with this business and it isn't SJS....

Last edited:
You can always ferry airplanes!

By ferrying you will gain some experience and learn a lot. It's hard to get going in the biz but once you get going it's a really good income.

If ferrying interest you I would be willing to pass down some advice that was passed down to me by other ferry pilots.

Did you stop ferrying?

Nope, I just cut back to 4 to 5 international flights a year. I Have a few contracts with a couple steady clients so I am ferrying just for them now. Doing 4 flights a year in brand new airplanes for these clients equals about 60k a year.

I also have stopped ferrying anything older than 3 years old. I may do a few flights and maybe some domestic stuff for others if I get bored enough or if the compensation is right.

Latest resources

Back