• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Time Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Without discounting all of the other options people have posted on here, I'll throw one other factor in favor of doing at least some instruction:

It builds human interaction skills.

Not just from the teacher/student perspective, but in general. Ask virtually any pilot who has "arrived" at a (major)(corporate)(fractional)(you fill in the blank). With a few notable exceptions, physically flying the airplane is the easiest part of the job (granted, that is due to a great deal of skill building along the way). The people I've seen survive and thrive also have excellent people skills, and just like the mechanical flying skills, you will develop these flight instructing. Although it didn't build flight time, I actually enjoyed instructing in Frasca sims because of the teaching environment they provided (and I like instrument instruction).

As has also been said, I think very few people are comfortable with it when they start off - personally one of my milestones was realizing I really was comfortable in the airplane and was mentally far enough ahead of the student/aircraft combination to keep us out of harm's way. Don't sell it short.

Nope, I just cut back to 4 to 5 international flights a year. I Have a few contracts with a couple steady clients so I am ferrying just for them now. Doing 4 flights a year in brand new airplanes for these clients equals about 60k a year.

I also have stopped ferrying anything older than 3 years old. I may do a few flights and maybe some domestic stuff for others if I get bored enough or if the compensation is right.

I banged the chick in your avatar. Nasty.

Latest resources

Back