Low Time Pilots, A Few Questions!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

I have a few question’s that may have already been answered; I have been reading the forums the last few days and have not found the answer’s to my questions so I am asking.

1, What typical flying jobs do most low time single engine pilots just over 500 hours get?

2, Is there a list of bottom feeder employers or third world country employers that take low time pilots?

3, By working for a known bottom feeder or in a third world country would that look bad to a future employer? or Cause you to become blackballed?

Thanks A Bunch

1) By far the largest majority would be flight instruction. Others do banner towing, traffic watch, aerial photo flights and other part 91 operations in single engine aircraft. If you know people you may be able to find Right seat work or go out west looking for SAFE VFR 135 flying (mostly around grand canyon). Those would be the main positions i would imagine....

2) There are some regionals that pick up low time: Great Lakes, CommutAir, and alike that hire under 1000 hours. From what I hear they aren't very enjoyable and pay sucks but upgrades can be quicker....Others can shed some light on the third world country stuff...I have no idea.

3) My advice here would be ask an employer you want to be hired by in the future. There is no better info than that of the company....Send a harmless email saying you are interested in doing everything you can to be qualified for the company and what the "do's and donts" of the industry are.....You may get some great advice....

my .02

I don't know your situation, but for me I flight instructed until I had about 800 hours, and then through the help of a friend I was able to get a job in Southern California flying twins dropping sterile bugs. I work for a regional now, but I would say the biggest key to my advancement in this industry has been:
a) support from those around me that keep me motivated when I have been less than motivated
b) networking
c) willing to do whatever has been asked of me including working multiple jobs while flight instructing, sleeping in the hanger, and commuting.
d) loving the job, hating the life and not losing sleep at night because I'm not making the big bucks.
e) ignoring all of the aholes you'll run into on your climb up the ladder. Everything from anal know-it-alls, sloppy weekenders, pissy ATC, and stupid questions while jumpseating. It's all part of the game.
f) Remembering how bad it was when I was doing what I was before I was flying.

[FONT=&quot]My 4th Question Is How Dose One Obtain Jump Seat Privileges? If They Don't Work For An Airline Or Cargo Company?

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]To build my time right now I have currently been ferrying airplane's its slow & cut throat competitive. Since September I have done 8 total and 5 were from people that purchased their planes on ebay all but 3 have been 1 day only a few hour's per mission! I don’t mind that there is very little money as long as I am able to build some sort of hours with out having to spend much out of my pocket book. I am working on my CFI but funds right now almost prohibit being able to complete it untill spring time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Right seat work (logging sole manip PIC) in King Airs, Barons, and Navahos for local corporate operators while instructing seems to be what everyone around here does to get started.

Minh

NW_Pilot said:
[FONT=&quot]My 4th Question Is How Dose One Obtain Jump Seat Privileges? If They Don't Work For An Airline Or Cargo Company?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Go work for the Secret Service or become an NTSB investigator and be travelling to an accident scene.

How Bad

NW_Pilot said:
[FONT=&quot]My 4th Question Is How Dose One Obtain Jump Seat Privileges? If They Don't Work For An Airline Or Cargo Company?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]To build my time right now I have currently been ferrying airplane's its slow & cut throat competitive. Since September I have done 8 total and 5 were from people that purchased their planes on ebay all but 3 have been 1 day only a few hour's per mission! I don’t mind that there is very little money as long as I am able to build some sort of hours with out having to spend much out of my pocket book. I am working on my CFI but funds right now almost prohibit being able to complete it untill spring time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

How hard are you willing to try? It all comes down to that. Wake up man.

Latest resources

Back