Low time pilot needs help in DFW!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hadhafang said:
I notice he hasn't responded recently, but I'll post anyway. It sounds like you maybe were under the impression that as soon as you get your commercial certificate that you would be able to get a job. Really, the commercial is just a glorified private certificate. It is the insurance companies that dictate the hours a pilot needs to fly. Sure, there are also the regs, (135 mins, etc.) but an employer is also going to look at your attitute. You will find out as you get more experience that you really don't know that much about aviation at 350 hours. Employers know that also, and they are not going to hire a really low time pilot becasue it is just too dangerous.

Remember too that if you are trying to be a 135 or 121 pilot, there are additional requirements to the total hours. You need night time, night cross country, simulated and ACTUAL time. These are difficult to get at jobs that will hire low timers since those are mostly day VFR flights.

I got my CFI about a year and a half ago and was fortunate to be hired by the university where I received my training. I worked hard with my students and was able to more than double my hours in a year. I also got my CFII and have been able to gain a lot more actual and weather experience as a result. I know have 730 plus hours and have taken a job for the summer out at the Grand Canyon (I've learned a ton about flying, weather, crosswinds, up and downdrafts, etc. in my first week here!) This flying is day or night VFR, but no instrument time. Thankfully, by instructing instrument students I have logged most of the instrument hours that I need.

So in a round about way, my advice to you is to get your CFI. However, since you really don't want to, don't. You won't work hard with your students, they will be mediocre at best, and you will log your hours slower because you are not committed. Pretty much your only option at this point is to pay for your time until you meet the minimums and experience for a VFR day job. No one said that aviation was cheap or easy.

Was that all actual instrument time or are you logging all instrument flights as instrument. If you are I wouldn't tell anyone that.

mjb00123 said:
Hey guys I looked high and low to find sometype of work but I understand with only 350hrs! Its hard to find something! Im willing to do whatever it takes to get some flight time! And no Im not willing to be a flight instructor..open to anyother ideas and anywhere in the US or overseas!!!!

www.jetuniversity.com - quickest way / most painless way. flying B727's

mcjohn said:
So you work for JU. Not CAT. If you work for CAT then obviously you guys get some kind of bonus to have the "intern" on board. Right?

It'd be nice if I was getting a bonus, ... last time I checked, pilots don't get ungats

DFW Traffic Watch

Dallas / Ft. Worth area TX
Seeking a Part-Time Traffic Watch Pilot in the Dallas / Ft. Worth, Texas area. Fly C-172 100 hours / month. Great time builder. Requirements Include: 500 Hours (prefer 750). A&P helpful.

[email protected]

It says 500 hours, but it would not hurt to ask, beg, etc.

I started banner towing at 255hours TT and about 20 days after I earned my Comm. I am ASEL instrument/commercial and nothing more... I did have my tail wheel and 25hrs of tailwheel training I got durring my commercial. Because I planned ahead and used my comm. to build tailwheel time I did not have to pay to train at my current company. I am very lucky I know, and none of this is said to gloat. I just want to encourage you that there is a job for you out there. The key to getting that first job is timing! Everything in aviation is all about being in the right place at the right time, and it is not magic. You can research and find out the seasons of opperators and hiring is based on those time frames. I would investigate banner towing in the DFW area... I know I have seen several ads for a company there and if you bug them you might have a shot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back