• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low time pilot needs help in DFW!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get a job selling newspapers! You seem to like to yell in every sentence!! Not only that, you seem to have the writing skills of a child!!! Finally, flight instructing may not be the only thing you aren't suited for; the list also includes writing an intelligent post!!!!! Good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may consider utilizing the following punctuations from time:
. ? :, or even the occasional;

Please refrain from using the following: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
DFW Traffic watch wanted 750TT and a CFI was highly desired. I heard about that job a while back and recommended it to a friend. Also, not to sound negative, but if you're hurting now and trying to build time, it's only gonna get WORSE before it gets better. Sounds like you need to set some $$$ aside and then consider flying. Otherwise a loan will be your only option. Personally, I chose the latter...taking out ANOTHER loan (on top of college loans) to pay for flight training. I'm still paying those off and will be until I retire probably! Best of luck.

Kingair1181 said:
You might get lucky and find a job but I doubt it - Skydiving, traffic watch, ect all normally require 500 hrs TT min. I am one of the few pilots I have known who have earned a lot of hours in a relatively short time without earning my CFI or paying for my time but I think I have just been very lucky so far.

I was living in Dallas (last Nov) when I found a job in Houston as a radio relay pilot. I had been looking for jobs in Dallas but found nothing (and I had 425 TT and 220ish multi and had been applying for 2 months) I had applied for the job in Houston and was then called on a Tuesday night by the Chief Pilot and told to be at the airport in Houston at 6 am the next morning or dont come at all- literally threw what I had in my car and drove all night and made it to work with an hour to spare. Job ending up being great - flew over 250 hrs in just 4 months. The job then dried up but it help me land my current job out in West Texas where once again I had to move. I am now a weather modification pilot and love it. But the job is only a 6 month contract so come Oct I'll be in need of another job and will once again move.

My point is that yes, you can find jobs - Traffic watch is great, pipeline patrol, safety pilot, banner towing, ect. But most require 500 hrs TT and most probably won't be in Dallas. I applied at several companies in Dallas but both wanted and required a min of 500 hrs TT but were hoping for 750. Also, you are probably going to have to be willing to move to wherever the job is and take it, even if it is just seasonal work. If you are going to be picky about what job you take (ie not being a CFI) then you have to be VERY flexable in where you live. Also, expect to find another job (waiting tables, ect) between jobs. Good luck and I am not trying to dash your dreams but its a tough road if you don't become a CFI.

you doing the SOAR stuff??

Oh yah.....There was a skydiving place hiring out west of Ft. Worth but it was weekends only or something. Don't really remember be the name but its a start. And trust me we've all "walked in your shoes".

mjb00123 said:
Hey guys I looked high and low to find sometype of work but I understand with only 350hrs! Its hard to find something! Im willing to do whatever it takes to get some flight time! And no Im not willing to be a flight instructor..open to anyother ideas and anywhere in the US or overseas!!!!

If it were 1989 and you had breasts and/or your skin color was anything other than white (caucasian) you could have got a job at United.

Fast forward 17 years....I think that anyone who wants to become an airline pilot these days should have their head examined.

GP

Kingair1181 said:
You might get lucky and find a job but I doubt it - Skydiving, traffic watch, ect all normally require 500 hrs TT min. I am one of the few pilots I have known who have earned a lot of hours in a relatively short time without earning my CFI or paying for my time but I think I have just been very lucky so far.

I was living in Dallas (last Nov) when I found a job in Houston as a radio relay pilot. I had been looking for jobs in Dallas but found nothing (and I had 425 TT and 220ish multi and had been applying for 2 months) I had applied for the job in Houston and was then called on a Tuesday night by the Chief Pilot and told to be at the airport in Houston at 6 am the next morning or dont come at all- literally threw what I had in my car and drove all night and made it to work with an hour to spare. Job ending up being great - flew over 250 hrs in just 4 months. The job then dried up but it help me land my current job out in West Texas where once again I had to move. I am now a weather modification pilot and love it. But the job is only a 6 month contract so come Oct I'll be in need of another job and will once again move.

My point is that yes, you can find jobs - Traffic watch is great, pipeline patrol, safety pilot, banner towing, ect. But most require 500 hrs TT and most probably won't be in Dallas. I applied at several companies in Dallas but both wanted and required a min of 500 hrs TT but were hoping for 750. Also, you are probably going to have to be willing to move to wherever the job is and take it, even if it is just seasonal work. If you are going to be picky about what job you take (ie not being a CFI) then you have to be VERY flexable in where you live. Also, expect to find another job (waiting tables, ect) between jobs. Good luck and I am not trying to dash your dreams but its a tough road if you don't become a CFI.

Also, expect to get another job at night when you do become a flight instructor.

Wolf King said:
Get a job selling newspapers! You seem to like to yell in every sentence!! Not only that, you seem to have the writing skills of a child!!! Finally, flight instructing may not be the only thing you aren't suited for; the list also includes writing an intelligent post!!!!! Good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may consider utilizing the following punctuations from time:
. ? :, or even the occasional;

Please refrain from using the following: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Post. It's about time someone said something.

I notice he hasn't responded recently, but I'll post anyway. It sounds like you maybe were under the impression that as soon as you get your commercial certificate that you would be able to get a job. Really, the commercial is just a glorified private certificate. It is the insurance companies that dictate the hours a pilot needs to fly. Sure, there are also the regs, (135 mins, etc.) but an employer is also going to look at your attitute. You will find out as you get more experience that you really don't know that much about aviation at 350 hours. Employers know that also, and they are not going to hire a really low time pilot becasue it is just too dangerous.

Remember too that if you are trying to be a 135 or 121 pilot, there are additional requirements to the total hours. You need night time, night cross country, simulated and ACTUAL time. These are difficult to get at jobs that will hire low timers since those are mostly day VFR flights.

I got my CFI about a year and a half ago and was fortunate to be hired by the university where I received my training. I worked hard with my students and was able to more than double my hours in a year. I also got my CFII and have been able to gain a lot more actual and weather experience as a result. I know have 730 plus hours and have taken a job for the summer out at the Grand Canyon (I've learned a ton about flying, weather, crosswinds, up and downdrafts, etc. in my first week here!) This flying is day or night VFR, but no instrument time. Thankfully, by instructing instrument students I have logged most of the instrument hours that I need.

So in a round about way, my advice to you is to get your CFI. However, since you really don't want to, don't. You won't work hard with your students, they will be mediocre at best, and you will log your hours slower because you are not committed. Pretty much your only option at this point is to pay for your time until you meet the minimums and experience for a VFR day job. No one said that aviation was cheap or easy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back