Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low time pilot looking for bush pilot job.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Veedubpilot,

It has already been mentioned on this board but to fly Part 135 (VFR) you need at least 500 hours plus some other requirements that can be found in the FAR's. Alaska is a huge State (as everybody knows) so I am not an expert on all of the flying that goes on up there but in the area I fly out of... most operators won't touch you until you have 1000 hours. This is usually insurance driven from what I hear. A 100 hours +/- of Alaska time also helps out but is not really required. That being said, you can get picked up with less hours depending on the needs of the company and your skills. Like a lot of aviation jobs it helps to know somebody as well. I got hired into a C 172 just shy of 800 hours and then moved into a 207 a couple months later. The experience I have gained has been great. Flying in the lower 48 has been good experience for me as well. You can get slammed on this board but here are my two bits. Build up some hours any way you can. If you want to try Instructing go do that. It helps out a lot. If you want to build hours moving airplanes or towing banners...go do that. When you get over 500 hours if you still have a desire to fly up North start sending the resumes out. If that doesn't work try again when you get closer to 1000 hours. If that doesn't work, you are just around the corner from 1200 hours and more possibilities will open up. If you do get hired between 500 and 1000 hours be grateful and not macho. Start out slow...take it easy. The reason insurance companies like 1000 hours is due to the fact that there have been several 500 hour wonder pilots who bit off more then they could chew. Usually in the form of landing accidents/incidents. (I am speaking about the area I fly in) Some companies break you in slowly but others have a "can do" attitude. Short narrow ice covered runways with full loads, strong crosswinds, and ice leave no room for error or a "can do" attitude. Ironically a lot of landing accidents/incidents also occur with high time pilots who have flown up North for years. If you stay up North for a couple of years remember to keep your skill/limitations in mind and don't push them to hard. Good luck and excuse the typos.

when you send someone an email or letter thanking them for an interview, be sure to say "I appreciate your time and consideration"

not appricate

n00b

Check out this site (www.flyalaska.com). There is a small cost for the membership but it will be worth your while. Most of the Alaska operators are listed; their minimums and some info on their operation.
I flew for LAB in Juneau. They might not have the best reputation in the industry, but if you can survive the weather and a couple of other character building issues, you will be able to fly for most wheel outfits in the state. Alaska Time is a big thing for the insurance companies and LAB is one of the very few that will hire with no Alaska Time. It looks like you take advice well and that is always a huge plus.
There are two banner outfits in Myrtle Beach, SC that will hire with 300 hours, Sky Signs, and Barnstormers. They might already have their fill for the summer but it’s worth inquiring. Good luck.

Ok, I've read some really good, honest comments trying to help our young aviator. Make sure you absorb as much information as you can, and filter it for garbage!

I am a ditch driver, and a tundra cabbie. Both good places to build experience. But don't forget that you are flying the public around, and that requires a little more time. Don't be in too much of a rush to find yourself in an airplane with three generations of a family members behind you, on an icy ramp, with low visibility (500-2 my *ss!) and the wind ripping accross the runway. Taxiing seems to be impossible, let alone the take off. What about an engine failure on rotation? Tire blow out? Grandma sounds like she has TB in the back, the baby is yelling, and the dad is probably drunk. You and your few hundred hours have proven the skill to put an airplane in the air and back again, without bending metal.... but what about this? This wasn't covered in training! Have patience, grasshopper. There is wisdom in the system. The knowledge you gain in your quest will reveal this wisdom.

Never offer negative without the positive. That in mind.... check out the ads for jump pilots, banner towing, flight instructing, etc. It could save your life. These experiences allow you to find your limits, get scared once or twice, and not have to scare everyone else in the process.

Lab, Grant, Scenic, King, GCA, Yute, Hagelands, Inland and a hundred even smaller operators are waiting for you to get your 500 or 1,000 hours. It happens quicker than you'd think. Drop me a line when you get your 500 hrs, I'll see if I know anyone that can help.

Good luck!

ps... the first 500 hours is the HARDEST to get. Have faith!

If you know you're gonna sign up for the Army, just go for it. They're not gonna give a rip about how much time you do or don't have. Prolly put u in a chopper anyways.
:beer:

Right on

Frozen Ronin,

Your post was right on. You must fly in Western Alaska. I was laughing so hard at your post I was crying. Grandmother with TB, baby crying, wind so strong it is hard to taxi, etc., etc. Thank God Summer is here. Of course...the passengers are the same but it is nice to have better w/x.

Sled driver,
Amen to summer.... Where did spring go? One day I'm following the snowplow to the ramp at Hooper Bay, the next day the village floods out 'cuz break up flows and jams.... whatever. I had to paddle to work in a canoe that day, by the way. Guess I missed that part of ground school, where they told us the whole canoeing to work part. Again, whatever. I'd rather be in the air looking at the flood then stuck in the pilot shack watching it creep up the stilts!

Good to see another Delta Rat on the board!

Next chapter: Tundra fires and dove sized mosquitos!

You need (at least) 135 VFR mins [135.243 (b) (1) (2) (3)...
Suggest getting a SES rating, a tailwheel signoff and tailwheel some time... it will help.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back