• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Regional Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instruct up to 1000 hours and get the ATP written out of the way, then go interview.

Get out while you still have time. Don't let yourself get suck in to airline flying, nothing good about it. Go get a job in computers you'll be happier in the end and you'll be home a lot more.

BS!
Go to TSA or Mesa and leave after 2-3 months. Skywest, Republic will hire you on the spot if you have previous 121 time. Lateral moves between regionals are fine as long as you do it within a year. I went from Skyway to Air Willy in 8 mo. Once you get past that year, it doesn't make cents ($$) to move between regionals. Good luck with your decision.

Training contract at Mesa is $10,000, clock begins when you finish training, and takes a year to expire.

Many, many Mesa pilots are deciding there's more to this JOB than $$, and are switching regionals in droves even at the 2-3 year longevity mark.

This makes perfect sense, because it is a JOB . . .why be miserable at your regional for 5,6,7,10 years on the off chance you MIGHT get hired at a major someday.

It's not a lateral move, because all regionals are not the same, not by a long shot. It's like saying JetBlue, Southwest, Frontier, Virgin America, Skybus and UsAir are all the same because they all fly planes and they're all LCC's. Crazy talk.

isnt the whole point of gettin on with a regional is to move up to bigger and better??

Mesa: 1700 pilots and shrinking (maybe)

Skywest: 3000 pilots (?) and growing like crazy.

QOL way better at one, pure hell at the other. Mesa to Skywest is not a lateral move, its a move up to bigger and better.

Don't be fooled by the size of the airplane or fleet composition. It's the QOL that matters.

Think about this:
If the hiring goes away and multi-time requirements spring up to 1000+ how long will it take to get that?

Go now, get the time, then do whatever you want.

Get out while you still have time. Don't let yourself get suck in to airline flying, nothing good about it. Go get a job in computers you'll be happier in the end and you'll be home a lot more.

why don't you hang yourself?!?! Don't push your beliefs on him.Im sure this is his dream. just cuz you had a crappy run doesn't mean he will.

Are you kidding me? You don't sound like somebody that's had a computer job. I do, it sucks. I can't wait to quit next month and be a CFI.

Hi all,
I was wondering if you guys have some advice for a newly hired CFI/II/MEI. Currently I have just over 250 hours with 30 multi. After looking at some of the regional minimums (PSA, TSA) it is very tempting to stop instructing and jump into the right seat regional jet/turboprop. However, I cant help but think that building more time through instructing and getting on with Express Jet or Skywest might be a better option for me in the long run. Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks!

dood....go teach, cut your teeth flight instructing, learn something, deal with different people, earn some respect, get some actual IMC before you go hurling down a Cat II approach and lean over to your captain and 500AGL and say, wow, so this is what actual IMC looks like!? Loose an engine or 2 in the twin for real, have a student try and kill you, it makes you appreciate the airline job that much more

You know what your heart yearns for, if you do not do it now you will only go crazy seeing the students you instructed get on with the likes of TSA, Mesa and then come back to the flight school and run their piehole about how much of a regional airline pilot they are. At this point, hmmm, I can see your eyes spinning out of control with envy and disgust just to mention a few, out goes the 100% motivation to be an instructor. Just do it and join the hundreds if not thousands that have gone before you.

Latest resources

Back