Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JOHNSCHR

Hi all,
I was wondering if you guys have some advice for a newly hired CFI/II/MEI. Currently I have just over 250 hours with 30 multi. After looking at some of the regional minimums (PSA, TSA) it is very tempting to stop instructing and jump into the right seat regional jet/turboprop. However, I cant help but think that building more time through instructing and getting on with Express Jet or Skywest might be a better option for me in the long run. Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks!

250/30 is still pretty low if you hadn't interned or come out of a bridge program. The lowest minimums are usually around the 600/100 mark. Some now only want a comm/mel certificate.

Try instructing for a few hundred hours over the next few months. Your flying will improve greatly and you'll learn a lot more about flying. In the mean time get your ATP written out of the way and start studying about turine and high altitude operations. Read gouges as well.

There are a lot of other candidates who have low time but still have a fair amount of instructing PICwhich will put you behind them.

Hold out for where you really want to go or you will be miserable for the next few years. everybody is hurting for pilots so just keep pumping out resumes, 20/day, eventually they will call you!

Hi!

Go right away to a lower-end regional like TSA or Pinnacle that doesn't have a training contract. After 6 months or so you can get on with Horizon, Air WI, Express Jet, Skywest, etc. Chautaqua/Republic has a $2500 signing bonus and, basically, no mins if you're already RJ trained. Flying 121 ME Jet is much better for you than instructing, as far as a resume builder, and you'll be getting up to 100 hrs/month, so you'll build time fast.

Pinnacle, PSA and USA Jet are the first ones to have these official minimums:
Comm-MEL
Inst-Airplane
NO HOURLY MINS

The pilot shortage tsunami has just started hitting the airlines.

cliff
GRB

but why make a lateral move to another regional and start all over again?

stick to instructing for a while and get some valuable dual given time then go to air wiskey or horizon

just my .02c

Try instructing for a few hundred hours over the next few months. Your flying will improve greatly and you'll learn a lot more about flying. In the mean time get your ATP written out of the way and start studying about turine and high altitude operations. Read gouges as well.

I tend to agree with this. I remember thinking that since I now had a commercial ticket, I was an "expert" on flying. Wow, did I have a few things to learn!!! (I now have about 1050 total 50ish multi, and I still have a world of things to learn. Funny how that little transformation takes place... Like my father becoming a very, very smart man after I turned about 25.)

I guess that what I'm trying to get at is, while hiring minimums might be lower, the standards for getting through training and doing a good job on the line aren't, and you want to make sure that you go into it adequately prepared. Spend some time instructing, and you'll learn a lot. I look back on all the things that I have learned along the way and wonder how I could have possibly gotten by without them.

There are a lot of other candidates who have low time but still have a fair amount of instructing PICwhich will put you behind them.

I guess with only about 50 multi, that would include me also.

-Goose

BS!
Go to TSA or Mesa and leave after 2-3 months. Skywest, Republic will hire you on the spot if you have previous 121 time. Lateral moves between regionals are fine as long as you do it within a year. I went from Skyway to Air Willy in 8 mo. Once you get past that year, it doesn't make cents ($$) to move between regionals. Good luck with your decision.

isnt the whole point of gettin on with a regional is to move up to bigger and better??

On the other hand, you will probably learn a lot more about flying jets by actually doing it... so I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Isn't this wild? In the mid 90's, guys with 3000 hours were just scratching to get interviews with turboprop airlines, and now, ink-wet commercial guys are getting invited to jet interviews. I'm confused... but I'm not complaining!!!

-Goose

Latest resources

Back