Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Love the JetBlue anti-union propaganda....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The JetBlue company website makes this statement:

Be informed
. Vote NO to ALPA.

Isn't this interfering with the election of a Union ?

Red...you have to remember to compare apples to apples.

An in-house union has worked just fine at SWA because your management is employee-friendly. When you have a hostile and extreme anti-employee, anti-union management (like AirTran), then you'd better have vast resources, teams of lawyers, and deep pockets at your disposal. I speak from experience. We jettisoned our in-house union and went with ALPA. We've never looked back.

No in-house union could EVER match, or even come close, to the resources that ALPA brings to the table. That, in and of itself, is a very compelling reason for the JetBlue pilots to vote for ALPA. They also have to remember that you are only as good as your MEC; so be darn sure to elect LEC officers who have a strong backbone, don't hide in the shadows, are not in it just to get out of flying the line, and above all - remain accessible and communicate always.

Good points Don. I'm not trying to start a fight and I agree that for the B9 guys, ALPA is better than what they have now..no question. They need something that's for sure!

It was sad that the AAI in-house didn't work out better than it did, but I get what you are saying. You are only as strong as those you vote in.

RF

I predict it will pass 55/45.

The last time the in-house union drive was conducted, under RLA rules, the people who didn't vote were counted as a "NO" vote.

Under current rules, those who don't vote are simply not counted one way or another and a simple majority vote OF THE VOTES CAST will decide it.

I'm hoping that, after the vote is done, JBLU management will decide it's better to go down the road of SWAPA/SWA relations rather than legacy carrier relations. If they don't... yeah, the pilots are still better off since JBLU seems to be looking for a dance partner (merger) and representation is absolutely CRUCIAL for that, but it won't be an easy road negotiating a new CBA.

Rock and a hard place... good luck, guys and gals!

The JetBlue company website makes this statement:

Be informed
. Vote NO to ALPA.

Isn't this interfering with the election of a Union ?

Unfortunately, no. Interference in an election is against the law, but the NMB doesn't consider it interference for a company to ask it's employees to vote against representation. They can't threaten, intimidate, etc., but advocating against a union by itself is not considered interference.

Unfortunately, no. Interference in an election is against the law, but the NMB doesn't consider it interference for a company to ask it's employees to vote against representation. They can't threaten, intimidate, etc., but advocating against a union by itself is not considered interference.

Thanks.

I thought that it could be considered an instruction given to an employee on a company owned website. The employee could then fear some form of discipline for not following an instruction from their employer.

Welcome back to being a 'Line Swine' PCL :)

Pro Con Rhetoric and Emotion

Avoiding the extremes on both sides of the Union argument and trying to find the "truth" is where I've tried to stay the past few years.

The burden of proof has always been on management to prove the "direct" relationship is better. Those that push ALPA for "job" security and merger/scope protection; I don't think your record is too positive on that.

Emotion seems to inevitably creep in to the arguments unfortunately.

Dave Barger's "emotional" pleas haven't helped his arguments, as have the management turnover and failure to execute on many levels.

Seems like most over here don't really want ALPA, but we've been pushed there.

Just how do you have a "direct" relationship with 2300 pilots? They haven't figured it out so what are you left with? ALPA and all of its expenses, bureaucracies and failures. But its better than a marginal at best "direct" relationship with lot's of questions and doubts.

Latest resources

Back