Looming Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
What not talk about airplanes what other reason is there for living. I still spend my free time hanging around airports.

Pilotyip and I haven't always seen eye to eye in the past, but I've got to say that I really appreciate his attititude in this thread. I think there are a lot of reasons to become bitter and jaded in this industry, but yip refuses to think like that, and I think it's great. I mean, it's true that I'm still doing my instructing, so I really don't yet know what flying is really about. However, I've been instructing long enough to have become sick of it (somewhere around 400 dual given), yet that still hasn't happened to me. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I get to fly for a living and I'm not stuck in an office. It's true that there is a lot of doom and gloom in the industry, but there is also promise.

Oh, and speaking of the pilot shortage, I don't know if there actually is one. What I do know, however, is that right now at the entry level, you shouldn't apply to anyone that you aren't actually interested in working for or that you aren't ready to shift your life around for (that is, of course, unless you need the practice or you have taken up interviewing as a hobby.) I sent out a couple resumes in the name of experimentation and networking, thinking that it would be I while before I heard anything (if I ever did.) I got called for interviews on both. In the end, I decided it would be better for me to instruct a little longer (meaning that I'm holding out for another job somewhere else while I'm building PIC and multi), but still, it goes to show that there are jobs to be had. They weren't super well-paying jobs, but they were more than I am making instructing. And I don't expect to be paid super-well at the entry level anyway. I wouldn't expect that in any career.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose absolute confirmation of hte impending pilot shortage and hiring boom just around the corner. Mark you calendars June 2007

I like how that article made going to UPS sound like a huge sacrifice. Oh No, I had to go from US Air to UPS. Yeah, please don't throw me in that briar patch.

Philerup said:
I like how that article made going to UPS sound like a huge sacrifice. Oh No, I had to go from US Air to UPS. Yeah, please don't throw me in that briar patch.

$26K a year is not a huge sacrifice? What world do you live in?

sleddriver71 said:
UPS starts pilots at $26,000? I don't think so.

Yeah, actually, they do. Of course by the 3rd year, they are at 80K, which shouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

At any rate, they aren't sacrificing. Those who have made the leap have decided that according to thier view of how things are going, they will be better off in the long run hiring on with UPS rather than staying where they are. so it's not a sarcifice at all, it's a step up.

sleddriver71 said:
UPS starts pilots at $26,000? I don't think so.
A lot of rampies throwing boxes on the ramp think the same as you, so don't feel so bad.

Just a thought... if there is a shortfall of 30,000 pilots, airlines will want to lower mins, no? With insurance the way it is and only getting worse, the airlines are screwed. These days they're insurance companies want 1200-2000hr pilots with 100-500 of multi up from pre-9/11 of maybe 700 and 50?

calling B.S. on this one... and the insurance companies too

Latest resources

Back