Looming Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
onthebeach said:
There is no shortage of professional pilots.

There is a shortage of people willing to do what you want, to the standards you require, for the money you pay, and the conditions to which you subject them.

Change the last two items and you will find that your "looming pilot shortage" will evaporate.

Thanks, that was what I was trying to say, only more eloquent.

A Squared said:
Thanks, that was what I was trying to say, only more eloquent.

I'll skip paragraphs of eloquent speaches.

All is can say is BULL$HIT!!!!!!!

CE

onthe beach, not the case at all. We pay the highest wages in the on-demand busienss. Average pilot makes $65K, average DC-9 Captain makes $95K, with 1/3 of our DC-9 Captain breaking the 6 figure number. Average pilot has been here 6 years, average DC-9 Captain 11 years. Instead of getting 100 resumes a month I am getting around 50, we still find good pilots, but if you don't stick them in a class right away they find other jobs that is how I judge the shortage. We only hire about 8 per year to cover turnover

pilotyip said:
There was a pilot shortage in1965....

This pretty much sums up your predictions, doesn't it, yip?

Ya, and gold will go up to about $9,000 an ounce.

Also, you should invest in pumpkin futures on about October 28th. They should peak out around the 20th of December. Or so says Homer Simpson...

C

pilotyip said:
...average DC-9 Captain makes $95K, with 1/3 of our DC-9 Captain breaking the 6 figure number...

Does "breaking the 6 figure number" include per diem? Just curious.

95K for a captain in a DC-9 is about 60% of what they should make.

C

Corona said:
This pretty much sums up your predictions, doesn't it, yip?

Ya, and gold will go up to about $9,000 an ounce.

Also, you should invest in pumpkin futures on about October 28th. They should peak out around the 20th of December. Or so says Homer Simpson...

C

With 6/6/6 around the corner, I'd invest in some That's Armageddon! insurance.

FN FAL said:
With 6/6/6 around the corner, I'd invest in some That's Armageddon! insurance.

LOL!

Shouldn't that be 06/6/06? It is possible to be saved by a couple zeros, ya know! Like those two guys on Car Talk, for example.

C

Yip, your enthusiasim is kick arse. You have a good job, make good money, and seem to love it. Unfortunatly what I see is (A) people that hate their job and hate their life/lifestyle would love to get out, but have bills to pay, or (B) people that are desprately trying to make the best of a complete industry cluster falk and stay positive. Very rarely do i come across (C) people who are genuinely happy with their decision to become a professional pilot. And those attitudes are usually temporary steming from a new job or looming captain upgrade. There is no pilot shortage and there won't be. people will always beg to work for free as long as it is in a cockpit. The only variable is turnover. As the profession continues to decline the turnover will get crazy. But there will always be eager spikey haired kids ready to warm those seats

Papps; That is right I was one of those eager kid back in 1966, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1989, 1991, 1996, and finally 1997. It is still a great career, I can not believe how lucky I am to still be living the dream. Well maybe in my case just living and having a 1st class medical is a dream. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back