• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like DAL/NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, Lee Moak continues to BRAG that he can stop any merger. If he wants this to go forward, he had better restore some of the lost wages/rules, save jobs, and tighten scope. Can he do it? I don't know---but he brags that he can stop a merger. Let's see him play hardball. And, job protections are a MUST.

Bye Bye--General Lee
You can't "tighten" scope like a leaky radiator clamp on the General Lee, with good results. ...need to yank the 318, 2 Barrell, out of the General Lee and find us a 440 Six Pack. Just like there is no substitute for cubic inches, there is no substitute for unity when it comes to making power.

Anything other than one list is going to continue to offer management outsourcing choices.

With 100 DC-9's getting parked and the company's balance sheet viewed as pillage and plunder, we need to ensure our employers remain in the flying business.

(Is it just me, or did the airlines chase the travel agents out of the business and now they want to be booking agents for subcontracting airlines?)

Last edited:
You can't "tighten" scope like a radiator clamp on the General Lee. To fix scope you are going to have to design it so that it takes pilots in, brings them together and puts them on one list with no easy ways for management to obtain substitutes.

Need to yank the 318, 2 Barrell out of the General Lee and find us a 440 Six Pack. Just like there is nu substitute for cubic inches, there is no substitute for unity when it comes to power.

Well said. I do believe that DALPA arrogance is going to cause us all to miss another golden opportunity to achieve inclusive scope.

What if 100+ DC9's are parked?

They will be parked and they will be replaced by E-175's and CRJ-900's. That is why we need DALPA and NWALPA to secure all 70+ seat flying back to the mainline pilots. That is the only way to secure no furloughs here. What we don't want to see is some jet-for-jobs deal that lets furloughed guys go fly those jets at the regional carriers.

They will be parked and they will be replaced by E-175's and CRJ-900's. That is why we need DALPA and NWALPA to secure all 70+ seat flying back to the mainline pilots. That is the only way to secure no furloughs here. What we don't want to see is some jet-for-jobs deal that lets furloughed guys go fly those jets at the regional carriers.

If anything RJ's are going to be parked. And yes, hopefully lots of them.

You need to get over the fact the DC9's are "old". They are completely paid for, and fill the 100-120 seat market for which there in no other aircraft at the moment. They have the highest load factor of any of the NB aircraft. The DC9's make a lot of $$, as opposed to the RJ's that bleed it at $100/bl even with guaranteed revenue from the mainline. While some markets can be served by the E175, many cannot. There are not 100 E195's out there, and even if they were they would be flown at the mainline with existing Scope.

The reports of the imminent death of the DC9 are way premature.

Last edited:

Cant happen per NWA contract. If the compass operation and pilots get absorbed into nwa and the 175s go to nwa then maybe but doubtful. The reduction in DC9s were already announced. They are going down to 68 dc9s. I do agree with you though that the 175s need to be on the mainline ticket and fleet but with dc9 payrates;)

If anything RJ's are going to be parked. And yes, hopefully lots of them.

You need to get over the fact the DC9's are "old". They are completely paid for, ....

The reports of the imminent death of the DC9 are way premature.
Well not according to Delta.

This morning's conference call says the RJ's have already been brought down to the minimum utilization called for in the contracts. The next adjustment to capacity would be lowering mainline utilization on days of the week with traditionally soft demand. The next step after that would be parking airplanes which cost little money (small, or no payments) to park - which are the 88's and DC-9's.

Well not according to Delta.

This morning's conference call says the RJ's have already been brought down to the minimum utilization called for in the contracts. The next adjustment to capacity would be lowering mainline utilization on days of the week with traditionally soft demand. The next step after that would be parking airplanes which cost little money (small, or no payments) to park - which are the 88's and DC-9's.

They said that could be a step, not that it will be the next step, right? If oil hits $150 a barrel, then lot's of things will stop--including most cars. The MD88s will replace RJs in markets that are not profitable, and take away frequency, which will funnel pax onto those MD88s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

They suggested the first step had already been taken, which is what I assumed weeks ago when Comair's flying got disproportionately whacked. Delta is at the low limit of the RJ flying it has to pay for.

Sure seems like there are already quite a few long layovers because they are not moving the airplane on days with low load factors.

I was impressed that they have several plans for 2008 with a lot of flexibility in there to be proactive.

You put all the pieces together and if the NWA deal happens, those 9's are parked unless there is really a need for them. Delta's already fat on similar aircraft and wants the domestic market down by 6 points.

The 76 seat RJ is unfortunately perfect for those routes and can squeeze 52-60% more revenue than a 50 seater on around 15% higher costs. Not to mention when you pull a Douglas jet out and stick an RJ in the Company hopes to get more revenue by restricting the supply of seat miles.

... and I'm still beating the drum for one list, jeesh, I'd love to just let it go, but it keeps chasing me around.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back