Looking to get a Laptop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

What laptop would you recommend? A lot of people I have been talking to say if I can afford to buy a Sony VAIO, I should. However, I'm trying to find the equivalent of a Sony VAIO that is manufactured by DELL. My main purpose for getting a laptop is for wireless internet use, spreadsheets, burning DVD's and CD's.

I can spend up to about $2500. My local Circuit City was selling Sony VAIOs for around $1600.

What do you use, recommend, etc.?

I look forward to your responses.

check the dell 700M. very light, x-brite knockoff screen.

only downside is the small screen. its light, does all you need there and more..wireless, cd/dvd-r, built in SD card slot. For traveling you simply cant beat it for the price IMHO.

$1000-1200 dell.com

You certainly dont need to spend $2500 on a laptop toady, in fact, you may be hard pressed to configure one that expensive!

dont ever buy a computer from circuit city. they rob you blind and you pay sales tax. They sell a lot of celeron junk with low RAM. Plus I hate the gimmick mail in rebates. Once you see through that and look at their P4/Centrino machines they are WAY overpriced. Too much Toshiba junk there too.

another great option is an apple, just buy office for it and you are 100% compatiable. Music and video is much easier to manage and far more enjoyable on an apple. Even there you can get on loaded up for 1500 or so.

good luck

Last edited:
I'm buying a laptop too, mine decided to stop working.

Dell has pretty good discounts right now online, and it ends this Wednesday.

I'm considering Apple too, any recomendations, which one to get?

I'd agree with G200 -- Apple makes a fantastic machine. The hardware and software are both rock-solid and reliable. I'm not sure why you're drawn to Dell; I find they make a pretty mediocre machine. If I were to buy a laptop, Windows or otherwise, Dell would be pretty far down on my list.

Rather than rehash this in a new thread, you might want to look at this thread:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=55928

I made a fairly detailed post there, #6 on the first page of the thread.

If you are going to be lugging the thing around while you are on the road, go for small and light!

I own a dell 700m. Very light, and rugged, the wireless gets great reception, even better than external wireless cards. If you call them up on the phone you can haggle price and options. I'd recommend the accidental damage protection, good if you taxi over it or somthing.

I'd go with dell, my family has owned roughly 10 of them and have only had good results.

Last edited:
Anything electric I buy here. www.newegg.com It's hands down the best site for shopping electronics on the internet. You could also check www.pricewatch.com.

As suggested before, check out Dell. Go surf www.notebookforums.com message boards and ask around. Also check their rumors and deals section because they usually have the latest 35% off coupons from Dell.

Latest resources

Back