• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking to get a Laptop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've said it so many times i can't even remember...

THINKPAD!!! you'll pay a little bit more for the equivalent hardware than the other models (With the exception of sony's, while good machines, your paying a premium for the 'sony' name)
but if your in the airlines, or travel significantly, IBM is the only way to go, theres a reason they're the NO1 business travelers machine for a very long time. I have an old leaseback machine thats still chuging along 7 years after it was made (granted its slow, but it works and does the job)
next, i'd recommend toshiba's, very reliable (also based on personal experience in aircraft usage)
then prolly dells

avoid hp/compaq like the plague, as for offbrands, dunno, you'd have to check around for reviews in the magazines to see...but i stand by my original recommendation

I just use it at home, never take it with me on my trips, TSA is a pain in the ass, and the less stuff I have to carry with me the better.

what about the dell inspiron 9300? i know it's a biggie, but does anyone out there have one? it's a desktop replacement for me, BTW.

Do you travel a lot? Because if you do you should want light weight and long battery life.

I have a Sony Vaio S360. I love this thing soooo much! 13.3" wide screen, 4.2 lbs, 3+ battery life, 1.7ghz centreno, 80gig, and 512mb ram.

I wanted a DVD burner too...but I started looking at the speeds that laptop burners burned at. Down right slow compared to external ones. So, if you want an internal one you might have to make comprimises. And I was not willing to do that.

If you burn on the road...maybe it is a good idea...if not...maybe get an external one for home so you don't have to make comprimises for your laptop.

Having a small and light laptop is great....anything that weighs more than 5lbs is not ment to travel .....at least in my thoughts.

Also, if you are shopping for small and light...make sure you find out how much the charger weighs and how big it is. My charger is sooo small but...some of these laptops have big chargers.

I know they don't sell it anymore...but you can custom build it as the S380 on Sony's website. I believe the 400 series S models might not be worth it.

naw, probably not going to travel too much. probably isn't safe to take my laptop up for some first-person shooter action while flying...

Laptop Stuff

Mates,

I sure wish this thread started a week or so ago cuz I just purchased a HP.

I had a Dell, I've had two, count 'em, two IBM ThinkPads and this machine is a "Mind Blower" ... but then again, it's been about 5 years since I've gotten a new one.

Good huntin'

TransMach

I have had a Compaq and it was absolute junk, they use "refurbished" components and I had nothing but trouble with it. I wouldn't accept another one even if it was given to me free of charge. I would advise you to stay away from this line but that is just my personal opinion from my experience with this company. I am currently on my second Sony Vaio laptop and I don't have any major complaints with them and if you are into photography and have a Sony digital camera then the program(s) and the ability to plug the memory stick right into the computer is a plus. You can get a decent price on them so shop around.

Bought my new Acer from Compusa for 499$. CD/DVD burner, internal wireless, 512mb ram, 128 mb video, 40gig hd.

This was my new upgrade from my toshiba that I'd had for almost 7 years and the buttons finally started falling off of it. Why spend the extra cash when you have absolutly no need for it. They all get on the net and they can all burn dvds/cds.

I've been using a Sony Vaio FS550 for about 5 months now and definitely think that it's the way to go. I love the screen on it - a huge improvement over the old Dell inspiron laptop I had before.

One thing worth noting is to try and get an Intel Centrino processor. I've noticed that the Sony with it's Centrino processor runs 1) a lot quieter 2) a lot cooler and 3) uses less battery power than the Inspiron's Pentium 4 mobile processor.

A powerbook, or whatever Apple has out nowadays, would be awesome too, but I'm not geeky enough for one of those... haha!

TRB

Latest resources

Back