Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Hello,

I am hoping to upgrade to captain in a year. I am looking for captains that I can keep in touch with and mentor me. I am especially looking for captains with good decision making skills that can guide me on how to properly follow the FARs, make good decisions under stress and in split second conditions. Of course, I'm looking for mentoring in other areas as well. I'm hoping you'd want to mentor me through the rest of my career as well. So, if you could please help me out, please respond to this post or PM me. Thanks.

Just take good notes from the CA's you are flying with now. Take the good and leave the bad.

Use and know the book. However, don't bury your head so deep in it that you lose touch with reality. Use common sense.

Oh, and don't become all high and mighty when you get the four stripes either. Talk to your FO's and value their opinion before you make significant decisions. They fly with all of the other CA's and they may have picked up a few techniques and had a few experiences you haven't. Remember, they are the ones that can either help bail you out or bury you if you end up on the carpet.

That being said, you are still the CA and there are FO's out there who think they are too. "Captain's discretion" is still supported by some management circles.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am hoping to upgrade to captain in a year. I am looking for captains that I can keep in touch with and mentor me. I am especially looking for captains with good decision making skills that can guide me on how to properly follow the FARs, make good decisions under stress and in split second conditions. Of course, I'm looking for mentoring in other areas as well. I'm hoping you'd want to mentor me through the rest of my career as well. So, if you could please help me out, please respond to this post or PM me. Thanks.

If I remember right, instructordude is upgrading to captain with GoJet. Give him a shout.

Sounds a little queer to me too. Log out when you're at a hotel. How freaking funny, I needed a good laugh.

Here's what you do. You go down the taxiway, really really fast. If something gets in your way..... turn.

:D

Latest resources

Back