Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Here is a question for you guys, I am new to corporate, where I am at every pilot is typed in the airplane. Can both guys log PIC while flying or does one guy have to log SIC? Thanks for the answers, I am just trying to catch my logbook up, and this is the first plane I have been typed in so I want to be sure I do it correctly.

I've been doing the corporate thing for 20 yrs. If both pilots are typed I log PIC only from left seat.
We swap every leg so we keep current as PIC and SIC.

There can only be one PIC. There is ONE pilot that is the final authority. Just because you are typed does not mean you are the PIC even if you are the "sole manipulator". If your company designates you as the PIC then you can log PIC. If you are a typed copilot then you log SIC. If you are both captains and your company doesn't designate a PIC, then you have to work it out with the other guy.

That being said, it's your logbook and you can do whatever you want to do. You just have to be able to back it up when a future employer starts asking questions.

there is a thread going on right now regarding this. Do a search for "299 line check". It's pretty informative.

It's absolutely mind boggling that so many people can be so wrong so often on such a simple subject. Moreover, one that's printed so plainly in the regulation. It's not a debatable topic, and it only requires lifting a finger to help one's self to look it up.

You needn't worry about what anyone else thinks, what so-and-so does, or how someone believes it ought to be. The regulation is very, very clear.

Logging pilot in command time is NOT the same as acting as pilot in command. Only one person may ACT as pilot in command at any given time. More than one person may LOG pilot in command at the same time.

§ 61.51 Pilot logbooks.

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;
(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or
(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.
(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor.
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Just because you are typed does not mean you are the PIC even if you are the "sole manipulator".

No, but that's really irrelevant with respect to logging the time in accordance with the regulation, as acting as PIC is an entirely different subject than logging flight time, or logging PIC.

Acting as sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft for which the pilot is rated does entitle him or her to log PIC.

If your company designates you as the PIC then you can log PIC.

That is entirely irrelevant with respect to Part 91 corporate operations. "Designation" by the company has no bearing on who can log what. You may be confused with Part 121 or 135, in which the person designated by the company as the PIC remains the PIC for the entire duration of the flight. However, even in those cases, one may still legally log PIC when acting as sole manipulator of the controls, if one is rated in the aircraft (category, class, and type).

The political implications of logging such time, with respect to an interview, are irrelevant when considering what one can and cannot log. One who flies for a 121 or 135 operation may well be advised to avoid logging PIC unless he or she is the acting PIC...but again, that's another subject.

Last edited:
There can only be one PIC. There is ONE pilot that is the final authority. Just because you are typed does not mean you are the PIC even if you are the "sole manipulator". If your company designates you as the PIC then you can log PIC. If you are a typed copilot then you log SIC. If you are both captains and your company doesn't designate a PIC, then you have to work it out with the other guy.

That being said, it's your logbook and you can do whatever you want to do. You just have to be able to back it up when a future employer starts asking questions.

In a part 91 operation, if you're both typed and current in the aircraft, then your can both legally log PIC time (one at a time of course). It doesn't even matter which seat your sitting in as long as you're the one flying (sole manipulator). That "final authority" crap is nowhere in the regs. It's something that some of the airliners made up as a another filtration system. So it's really up to you and the other person your flying with how you want to divvy up the legs.

61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person (i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges; (ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or (iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

No, brightspark, the regulation has spoken. If you find it to be your almighty God, then that's your problem.

K.V. based on what avbug, and the reg says I believe you to be wrong. Sounds like both guys can log PIC in their logbook.

Latest resources

Back