• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging time question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For a question that some say is so cut and dry there sure area a lot of questions on it.

I think that I am maybe not explaining myself well. They hired me as a captain, we are all captains, they sent me to school, paid for my type and my ATP. I do fly half of the legs as "Captain" and I log PIC on those legs, but I have been logging SIC on the legs that I am not flying. Still do not know what is right.

For a second, forget about the future hiring boards at Fedex or Southwest. Lets just say your not interested in going to an airline job.

Maybe this guy is interested in doing some contract flying on his off time for another flight department that has a G550. Now if you are typed on the G550 and have 1000 hours as "sole manipulator", can you advertise yourself for contract flying as having 1000 PIC in the G550?

I don't know the answer...anybody??

If you're going to BS your way into a job with backdoor PIC via the SIC seat, good luck getting hired. Let him log it that way and see where it gets him. Interviews are hard to come by and to muck it up with SIC time being presented as PIC time without being the captain, looks less than stellar. You ain't gonna talk your way out of it. The guy on the other side of the table is way ahead of you in terms of dissecting a logbook.

BTW, you dont have to log any of your time except that required for currency and recency.

Absolutely not. There is a guy I know who is typed and is a "co-captain" but we would never send this guy with an inexperienced copilot or contract guy. In my opinion, there is a HUGE, let me repeat that, HUGE difference between a "sole manipulator" and a captain.

They hired me as a captain, we are all captains, they sent me to school, paid for my type and my ATP. I do fly half of the legs as "Captain" and I log PIC on those legs, but I have been logging SIC on the legs that I am not flying.

That is the correct way of logging time if you were indeed hired as a captain. Log your PIC legs as PIC and your SIC legs as SIC. Pretty simple huh?

Last edited:
siucavflight said:
I think that I am maybe not explaining myself well. They hired me as a captain, we are all captains, they sent me to school, paid for my type and my ATP. I do fly half of the legs as "Captain" and I log PIC on those legs, but I have been logging SIC on the legs that I am not flying. Still do not know what is right.

This is what we do in my organization. We have 2 captains, both fully qualified to be PIC. Our arrangement is that whoever is the left-seat flying pilot is the "Trip Captain" for that leg...they are responsible for safety of that particular flight. As such, that person is and logs PIC while the the right-seat nonflying pilot is and logs SIC.

It is my opinion that, based upon how you describe it, you are properly logging your time.

Like I said earlier, if I sign for the aircraft I log PIC, if not then I log SIC. I know logging and acting are two different things, but I'm looking at the future just in case I need to separate the two (and I've already had to, and made things much, much easier).

Like I said earlier, if I sign for the aircraft I log PIC, if not then I log SIC. I know logging and acting are two different things, but I'm looking at the future just in case I need to separate the two (and I've already had to, and made things much, much easier).
Yes, but however this does not apply as no one is signing for the aircraft, we are a part 91 operator.

Avbug, not one of those things applies to me.
Sole manipulator of the controls-one guy does this, other guy does not.

Sole occupant-self explanitory

Acting as PIC of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required-slightly convulted, however I would think that only one guy can act as PIC, and we both switch off legs.

And the last two about instruction do not apply.

So which part of the reg allows us both to log PIC? Thank you for your time.

Given that you've been presented the material in black and white with zero ambiguity, I can only conclude that your posts are your effort at having some fun. Good luck with that.

Given that you've been presented the material in black and white with zero ambiguity, I can only conclude that your posts are your effort at having some fun. Good luck with that.
Well you have actually not posted anything in black and white, everything that you have posted leads me to believe that what your position is is incorrect. But hey I guess that you are entitled to your own opinion.

Latest resources

Back