Logging PIC time w a Frac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hawkerflyer said:
I only log PIC when designated on the flight manifest.

...ditto :D

Or maybe we could just do away with sic all together and everyone can log pic all the time. Maybe even the flight attendants could start logging pic also.

Wingnutt:

When you get a job opportunity that you would qualify for BUT FOR the fact that you logged your LS-PF time as SIC, you'll reconsider your sanctimony. The airlines might not like it, but the insurance companies accept it. If it otherwise qualifies you for a better job, you're a fool for not listing it. If it's any consolation, you'd probably be a great person to golf with.

Just add a pt61 PIC column

to the log book. I was a SIC at FLOPS for 3 years and logged everything sic but did keep track of the legs I flew and put them in the x-tra column I made for PT 61 for the legs I flew-- just to save time if I ever needed it. When I interviewed for the charter gig I fly now, made it really easy to show and explain to everyone that needed/wanted to know.

here's why i log pic when i fly at options

I have the same technique...i keep a column of the legs i'm flying left seat......i think this is unique to southwest but read here...right off their site:

3Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" as the Pilot responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. This definition is taken from PART I of the FAR. Southwest Airlines further allows logging of PIC as follows: For an aircraft requiring a type rating: If both pilots are type rated, the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC. If only one pilot is type rated only that pilot may log PIC, regardless of seat position. For aircraft not requiring a type rating: Only the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged, as "Other Time" will not be considered. When converting taxi time a conversion factor of .3 or eighteen minutes, per leg/sortie should be used. These guidelines are imposed by Southwest Airlines for the purpose of standardizing the calculation of flight time.

a10hogplt said:
I have the same technique...i keep a column of the legs i'm flying left seat......i think this is unique to southwest but read here...right off their site:

You may want to call SWA People Dept and ask them what their take is on that. They will tell you that they will not accept PIC time unless you are designated as PIC. I was told that the thing you quoted applies to true Co-Captain positions such as at corporate operators where there is no designated PIC, but either pilot could be dispatched with a non-typed FO.

EdAtTheAirport said:
Wingnutt:

When you get a job opportunity that you would qualify for BUT FOR the fact that you logged your LS-PF time as SIC, you'll reconsider your sanctimony. The airlines might not like it, but the insurance companies accept it. If it otherwise qualifies you for a better job, you're a fool for not listing it. If it's any consolation, you'd probably be a great person to golf with.

haha, in my defense...99% of the times i am in a King Air, I am on the manifest as PIC. the few times im not i dont even bother logging it, as an hour or two a month really aint gonna make a hill of beans difference to me one or way the other.

...and ill take you up on that golf game anytime :D

Sole manipulator? That would seem to work if you're flying from the left seat without an autopilot doing any of the manipulating. But what if you're flying from the right seat, are you also going to log the time the captain taxis the plane while you work the radios?

Fact is, you can log whatever you want. Knew a guy who had a column for logging jumpseat time. But ask yourself what am I logging this stuff for? Is this a diary or a resume reference.

Prior to gettting your ATP, you probably followed 61 and the logging of flight time for the purpose of meeting the requirements for a higher certificate or rating But you've got your ATP now; now you're logging time to show currency and also (if your smart) to help get yourself out of the fractionals. At this point, who is going to give a poop about pt61 PIC time? And if they do, you're probably worrying too much because it sounds like they'd accept anything. Best bet, set up a column for Part 1 PIC at this point. If ,and that's a big if, you're ever ask to produce the time pt61 allows, you can always go back and add based on the legs you flew. But don't mess up your previous entries to log an entirely new way.

How are you logging cross country time? As required before your Private or as they allow once you've got your Private and you're going for your Commercial? You know all those flights between airports that didn't meet the requirement for cross country prior to getting you Private can now be counted. Does anyone care!?!?

so according to SWA all those hundreds of hours sitting in the right seat of (take your pick airplane) flight instructing I can't count as PIC and in fact all of the time instructing pre private or pre multi students noone could log that time as PIC???

WMUSIGPI said:
so according to SWA all those hundreds of hours sitting in the right seat of (take your pick airplane) flight instructing I can't count as PIC and in fact all of the time instructing pre private or pre multi students noone could log that time as PIC???

I haven't seen the SWA app in a while (can't afford a U.S. ATPL 737 type after piling up the debt here in anticipation of Kicka$$ pay) but that doesn't make sense as an instructor meets the part 1 definition.

Latest resources

Back