Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Here is my question, and this is just out of curiosity.

Say you get hired by FLOPS or someone and at the end of training you get the type. Can you log the flights you fly (like dead legs) as PIC if you fly the flight?
I know what the regs say, but how is that viewed by other companies (like World or Tradewinds or something)?

It all depends on what you plan to do in the future....if you plan to stay at Flops.....log anything you want.....if you plan to go to the airlines, most want PIC time to be the "designated PIC" time....meaning when you make captain and you are flying as a captain. Most of the guys I know logged time they were actually manipulating the controls as PIC, but again, if airlines are the way you are headed, I would keep SIC time as SIC time and not log PIC until you are designated a PIC.

Good Luck

Logging PIC

It is legal per the FARs to log PIC with a type if you are the sole manipulator of the controls. Where I flew charter one of the pilots would be desigated PIC and the other typed pilot would do all the flying and log PIC also - perfectly legal. Same with flying as a safety pilot. Just be ready to break it out if you ever go anywhere else. NJA wants only PIC time when acting as designated PIC, not sole manipulator.

There's part 61........ If you are typed in the bird and you are pushing the sticks- flying- you can log it PIC..

Then there's FAR part 1.... Log PIC only if you are the man (or girl) on the blame line-the designated PIC.

Airlines-I'm told- perfer FAR part 1...

I log FAR part 1 when I log it....

always log the hours you flew as PIC you will most likely go to a charter company after you are sick of sitting sic at options for more than 4 years and some other company wants only a insurance requirement to be filled to be PIC.....

You know... this subject comes up all the time and the answer seems to be pretty clear to me... log what you can legally log, however you can log it, and be willing to break it out when someone needs it differently. Why cheat yourself out of PIC time? Are you really only going to log PIC because some airline only considers the time you are designated PIC of a multi-engine turbine-powered aircraft over 12.5? Of course not. I can't imagine why anyone would care as long as you can explain why you log time the way you do... hell, you might even impress them with your knowledge of the FARs.

cc

Clutch_Cargo said:
Why cheat yourself out of PIC time? Are you really only going to log PIC because some airline only considers the time you are designated PIC of a multi-engine turbine-powered aircraft over 12.5? Of course not.
cc

Ahhh, at a FedEx interview they will. I know it is a major pain in the a$$ filling out those airline apps, each company seems to have their own rubix cube grid.

Suggestion...I had my Master logbook recorded the way Clutch_Cargo has his meaning I logged everything I could that was legal. Then I went and bought one of those cheap basic logbooks to keep up with what the airlines wanted, like designated PIC on the manifest. It made it a lot easier to fill out the apps.

Good luck.

PurpleTail said:
Ahhh, at a FedEx interview they will. I know it is a major pain in the a$$ filling out those airline apps, each company seems to have their own rubix cube grid.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that you fill out an application with anything other than that particular airline's definition of PIC time. I'm just saying that to only log PIC under one definition might keep you from getting a job because your PIC time is less than what it could be.

I just keep one log book... and it's a paper log at that. If someone needs a total that isn't obvious in the log I figure it out for them. So, for example, if I were going to a FedEx interview, I would know my total PIC as defined by them. PurpleTail probably has a good idea in keeping separate logs, I just never went to the trouble. Using a computerized log or a spreadsheet would be another way.

cc

Maybe the solution is to just separate it into PF and PNF, and if you seat-switch, left and right. So you would have RS-PNF, RS-PF, etc. You can argue the legalities if PIC/SIC later.

Latest resources

Back