• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging landings as a CFI....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not a C.F.I., but I certainly respect the job you're doing.

If the student bends the airplane while receiving dual instruction on landings, who is responsible for the accident? You should most certainly log all the landings. Your hands and feet may not have touched the controls but your head was very much involved in every landing.

This is all very true, but we must compy with the regulations. Namely that you must be sole manipulator.

It ain't hard to get 3 landings in 90 days while instructing.

Your PIC. You log it.
Not always. What if the student is rated for and in the aircraft? PIC is determined in the briefing. You cannot log the landing unless you perform the landing. You can keep your currency by demonstrating landings to students.

I log them all but don't count them for currency. Logging them is a matter of CYA in case a student said they did not get to do enough landings if / when they get into trouble.

As a CFI I logged every landing I was in the airplane for, you are PIC, you are responsible if any metal gets bent. I went in for interviews at 6 different 121 operators, now work at Eagle, and never had anyone question it.

Anytime you are acting as the flight instructor, you may log that time as PIC, even if they have their commercial certificate 61.51 (e)(3). Although technically, the landings where you were not the sole manipulator of the controls would not count towards your 90 day currency as per 61.57 (a)(1)(i).

I don't log landings that I didn't perform, so I have to keep track on whether or not I'm current when I want to go up on my own with passengers (especially during the night).
Instrument approaches/Holding are also things I don't log for myself when I teach unless I'm on an IFR flight plan in actual.

But that's the case even if you, the CFI, and a couple of your private pilot buddies are out flying around and you're dozing in the back seat when your buddy busts a TFR. Guess who's gonna get hung?

I have heard of this, but haven't actually read anything on this case. Could you point me in the right direction to find any literature on this case?

Was it the FAA that brough charges against the back seat sleeper? Or was it in civil court (lawsuit) that declared the back seater responsible? Any help would be appreciated.

Not always. What if the student is rated for and in the aircraft? PIC is determined in the briefing. You cannot log the landing unless you perform the landing. You can keep your currency by demonstrating landings to students.

You are always PIC while acting as an instructor even if you're with a rated pilot. The rated pilot you're with may be making the decisions, but the instructor has final authority and responsibility over the flight.

Latest resources

Back