Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
I know we can log PIC at all times while acting as an instructor, but do we log all the landings, regardless of whether or not the CFI or student performs them?

It's been posted on here before so try a search.

Here was my method...If I had to physically "help" the student with the landing I logged it. If I didn't, then no landing logged.

I really doubt any one will ever question you on them.

You're CFIing. Log it.

I'm not a C.F.I., but I certainly respect the job you're doing.

If the student bends the airplane while receiving dual instruction on landings, who is responsible for the accident? You should most certainly log all the landings. Your hands and feet may not have touched the controls but your head was very much involved in every landing.

To be able to act as PIC, you must have logged the three landings (etc., etc.) and you must have been sole manipulator of the controls.

61.51 outlines only what is required to be logged. Anything you log that exceeds those requirements is up to you.

My method while instructing was to put everything in MY logbook that I entered into my students' logbooks and included the students' names. That way if any questions were asked about who I flew with and what I did with them I had a record readily available. When I was sole manipulator of the controls during the takeoff and landing, I would make an extra note indicating that the takeoff and landing counted toward the required recency experience.

Hope this helps.

I know we can log PIC at all times while acting as an instructor, but do we log all the landings, regardless of whether or not the CFI or student performs them?
Assuming you're logging the landings for the purpose of proving your own currency (the only regulatory reason to log them) read the regulation and see what it says.

(Really good advice for those who say, "you're the CFI, log it" is, "You're the CFI. Learn to read the regulations that you're supposedly teaching.")

If you're not logging them to count them for currency purposes but just for the heck of it, then write something in your logbook to the effect of "these don't count."

Last edited:
The reg and the FAA is very clear on this. There is an interpretation[FONT=&quot][/FONT] out (I will try to find it) and guidance in the FAA Inspectors Handbook.

61.57 states clearly you must be sole manipulator of the controls for landings to count for either day or night currency. You just can't sit there and watch your student do it and have it count. The FAA wants you to actually have some real practice at it.

Are you still responsible if the student screws up, sure. But that's the case even if you, the CFI, and a couple of your private pilot buddies are out flying around and you're dozing in the back seat when your buddy busts a TFR. Guess who's gonna get hung?

Landings count for nothing except to keep you current. just log what you need for that and i wouldnt worry too much about it

What I used to do was to split the landing column box diagonally. Top half is for student landings and bottom half is for me.

In order to log for currency you must be the sole manipulator.

Every so often you should demonstrate a proper crosswind landing, short or soft fielf landing, regular landing, 180 power off, etc.

It isn't hard to find 3 opportunities to accomplish this within 90 days.

Latest resources

Back