Logging landings as a CFI....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just my take on Logging Landings....

First off, your logbook is YOUR logbook. Make any notes that you feel important, or "milestones".

Second, If I am a Required Crewmember, I log it. If I am am teaching a student pilot, I am required. If the student already has soloed, he cannot carry passengers. Therefore, the CFI is not a passenger, but a required crewmember.

When flying an RJ or Airbus, you are a required crewmember. I log them all. With 16,000 + hours, nobody has EVER questioned me on "how many landings do you have?".

As far as currency goes, if you are a flight instructor, this should not even be an issue.....providing you keep busy.

Just my take on Logging Landings....

First off, your logbook is YOUR logbook. Make any notes that you feel important, or "milestones".

Second, If I am a Required Crewmember, I log it. If I am am teaching a student pilot, I am required. If the student already has soloed, he cannot carry passengers. Therefore, the CFI is not a passenger, but a required crewmember.

When flying an RJ or Airbus, you are a required crewmember. I log them all. With 16,000 + hours, nobody has EVER questioned me on "how many landings do you have?".

As far as currency goes, if you are a flight instructor, this should not even be an issue.....providing you keep busy.

That's fine, but the FAR's are pretty clear that you have to be the sole manipulator for the controls to log a landing. It doesn't matter if you are required to be there or not. Am I the only one besides Mark that gets this?

Sure you can go your whole career without it being an issue because 99% of the time nobody cares about your landings... until you bend a plane at night with a student and the FSDO investigates and notices you have 5,000 landings logged with 900 hours flight time. (hmmmm....) The Denver FSDO made a point that they've busted at least one CFI on proving his currency (among other things) with that exact scenario. There's no way you'd have several thousand landings with that flight time as an instructor and it is easy to get out of night currency even if you have many students. ie. If you're living in the Denver area and just survived several months of constant snow storms this past winter you weren't flying much.

It doesn't matter to me how you folks are logging landings, but just keep in mind the FARs are cut and dry on what you can and cannot log to maintain currency. I'm only stressing this because so many students read this forum and take what we say as the gospel. May as well state the facts instead of what we feel they should be.

Do you guys also log instrument approaches on instructional flights when the student is flying the approach? Do you log sim time when you're teaching someone in it? .....

g

Last edited:
Do you guys also log instrument approaches on instructional flights when the student is flying the approach? Do you log sim time when you're teaching someone in it? .....

g

If approach is done VMC....No. If IMC....Yes.

Teaching in the sim...No.

......you guys get too rapped around the axle on these issues. I would almost bet the if you asked 10 FSDOs on the interptation, you would get 10 different answers...........Who Cares. And by the way, FOs do not log PIC time when it is their leg.

Do you guys also log instrument approaches on instructional flights when the student is flying the approach?
Be careful of that one. There is pretty strong support for the position that if they are in IMC, student approaches are also logable by the instructor.

And by the way, FOs do not log PIC time when it is their leg.

HA!!! You won't believe it this, but on the regionals forum there was a multiple page argument over it because some egotistical FO's were logging PIC on their leg....that is just plain PATHETIC. I can't believe the spoiled and haughty kids that are going into the regionals these days.

I can't believe what I'm seeing on this thread! I'll keeep a sharp eye on the new guys from now on if this is a prevailing attitude about logging time and landings!
What could possibly motivate you to log a landing that somebody else accomplishes? I can only think of the word currency on that one.
Hey! we're talking P-51 time here big time, folks! If your concience allows you to do that and you feel you have to, I'll only say that you're lying to yourself each time you log one, and you'll eventually look at your logbook as a bunch of fictitious numbers that grows bigger all the time and something not to be very proud of. "Sole maipulator of the controls"! How can you guys interpret that any other way? You guys have some inflated view of being a CFI or PIC? I'll bet you guys log the landings of your students when you get out and give them their first solo landings, too! How sad for this profession that people feel the need to justify filling their logbook with untruths and fabrications.
Land the plane, log the landing, it's that simple, folks. You'll feel good that your logbook reflects the real truth when you walk into that interview.

"If we didn't lie, we wouldn't have to remember so much"

Will Rogers

As a CFI I logged every landing I was in the airplane for, you are PIC, you are responsible if any metal gets bent. I went in for interviews at 6 different 121 operators, now work at Eagle, and never had anyone question it.
How sad for you. So I supposose Eagle allows it's Captains to log landings that the FO accomplishes? You'd think that the FEDS would question two people logging landings for one flight. (I guess you could say you always do a touch and go for currency, heh?). Maintenance probably gets upset that they have to inspect the jet more often because of the landings logged too! What? You don't log them in the aicraft logbook? Just your own "personal" logbook? Hmmm. I see.
As PIC in my jet, I'm responsible for any "bent metal", but wouldn't think of logging a landing the FO does. YGBSM! You're only lying to yourself. Get real, be honest with yourself. You didn't get hired because of the number of landings in your logbook, believe me. Airlines know about flying and instructing, and know their instructors don't get to log many landings. If anything, logging an inordinant amount of landings while instructing might be questionable at some interviews.

BTW, for those of you who got it right on this thread, nice to se your posts. There may be hope for this profession after all!

Latest resources

Back