• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook Lies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I knew some 91 guys would chime in. "But, But, we have ALWAYS logged it that way and we haven'd had a crash yet!" you will say.

I applaud the fact that you havn't hired 500 hour "gear pullers" and your safety level has been enhanced because of that. Congratulations! your passengers' safety is important to you. It's a shame more flight departments don't practice this.

But I have seen part 91 ops that encourage their 500 hour wonders to log PIC if they have a type. Not a good practice

I don't have a problem with Co-captains, but ONE pilot should sit in the left seat and log PIC, the other in the right as SIC. Every leg. Switch if you want, but you BOTH CAN'T LEGALLY log PIC.

I can log every hour I have as 777 time if I want to. I'd just better be able to back it up. There is the problem

Most large fortune 10 companies have captain - captain flight depts. They switch legs if they want and they are equal... Then there are those that are stuck in the 50s... See XOM, Chevron, etc...

JediNein said:
Ummm, no. The lax rules regarding pilots self-certifying their logbooks remain because pilots are not all guilty of forging entries. Most resent the accusation. If you commit fraud in your logbook, you are in a lonely and vile minority. There is no rationalization, no glorification, no sympathy, and no tolerance for that in aviation.

Whatever the reward, it becomes hollow when one knows it is not true.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

What he said.

C

Comments/arguments boil down into two fundamental schools of thought:

• What are the odds of getting caught/consequences (perhaps in a hypothetical),

• Who cares if you get caught or not, - you yourself will know, and that is punishment enough.

Wonder which would make a better doc. I reckon, hypothetically, a doctor could find an easy shortcut way through all that schooling and training, with crib-notes and test-answers and plagiarizing and such. Not sure I’d wanna go to one.

Could such a doc be trusted?

Yah I know, I know – big difference between pilots and docs. No comparison. Or logging a couple extra points vs. getting the med exam answers ahead of time.

Right?

SpyFlysDOTs said:
I remember an inspector at RAL FSDO tell a class of CFI's about an ATP applicant that shows up with nearly 500 hrs of Seneca time.
Inspector knew this Seneca was a mud queen at Corona Airport, and knew it rarely flew.
He called the owner and asked how many hrs it had on it and then called in the pilot.
FAA revoked his certificates.
This can and does happen.

That guy was an idiot and he deserved it for being so damm careless. If you're going to do $hit like that do it right.

Originally Posted by Lear70

Incidentally, NO ONE has EVER validated my logbooks, and I've interviewed at:

Turboprop Part 135 operator - never opened them
Lear 135 operator - never opened them
Flexjet - never opened them
Express One (727's) - never opened them
United - looked at them for 30 seconds
Pinnacle - looked at them for 30 seconds as well
Southwest - looked at them for 30 seconds and verified three times they needed.
A couple 727 operators hiring direct-entry Captains and some corporate operators - never opened them

Southwest just looked for the specific times they needed, but when you have 6,000 hours and 5 previous flying jobs, it would be a lot more difficult to pick out errors than if you're a 1,500 hour pilot with one or two jobs instructing or flying cxld checks.

Oh, and p.s. 10% IFR and Night is about right for people who haven't flown Part 121 yet. Those times go up to 20% if you're based in the Northeast as a 121 operator. I have about 7,000 total, 1,200 IFR, 1,500 Night, but I flew a lot of night freight, too.

Maybe 30 seconds was all it took to validate your logbooks. Your IFR time is way too high for the amount of total time you have. Were you logging Actual Instrument time when you were the non-flying pilot? I fly for a major and have also been based in the northeast before and my IFR time is less than 10% of my total.

Did you get a job offer from United or Southwest? Maybe they had already decided they weren't going to offer you the job, and spending alot of time in your logbooks was a waste of their time.

Last edited:
I know some feds who do some check outs who could pick out some false flight time with out even going into it to deep. You get caught lieing about your flight time you might wanna look for a differnt career. How can you feel good about yourself knowing the only way you got that job or certifacte by lieing.

DeucesWild said:
I fly for a major and have also been based in the northeast before and my IFR time is less than 10% of my total.
Not to pick nits here, but keep in mind that there are, or were, 121 jobs especially in the northeast where you never got above 10,000. I flew for a regional and we spent a whole buttload of time in the goo ... the guys in other company aircraft types were always above it in the clear.

Mine shakes out to almost 20% too.

Originally posted by Lear70

Incidentally, NO ONE has EVER validated my logbooks, and I've interviewed at:

Turboprop Part 135 operator - never opened them
Lear 135 operator - never opened them
Flexjet - never opened them
Express One (727's) - never opened them
United - looked at them for 30 seconds
Pinnacle - looked at them for 30 seconds as well
Southwest - looked at them for 30 seconds and verified three times they needed.
A couple 727 operators hiring direct-entry Captains and some corporate operators - never opened them

Southwest just looked for the specific times they needed, but when you have 6,000 hours and 5 previous flying jobs, it would be a lot more difficult to pick out errors than if you're a 1,500 hour pilot with one or two jobs instructing or flying cxld checks.

Oh, and p.s. 10% IFR and Night is about right for people who haven't flown Part 121 yet. Those times go up to 20% if you're based in the Northeast as a 121 operator. I have about 7,000 total, 1,200 IFR, 1,500 Night, but I flew a lot of night freight, too.

Part 121 flying is multiple crewmembers. Only the pilot flying (sole manipulator of the controls) can log Actual Instrument. Thus, Actual Instrument time can only be logged every other leg, while Total Time is obviously logged for both legs. Thus, the percentage of Actual Instument time logged in relation to TT should go DOWN when doing 121 flying.

You say you flew alot of night freight. Why didn't you log it???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back