Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Never Trust A Monkey
Hi-

I looked through my logbook today and realized I made a addition error last year that caused my single and multi time not to add up to equal total time. I used white out to correct the 10 pages that had the errors. Now all the numbers match up. Now I hear that white out is a sin and technically not allowed. Is this true?

White Out

I don't know about not being allowed, but I saw this one girls log book and it look like a blizzard inside! She must have used a case of white in it. On top of all this she logs FTD/SIM time in her total time column.

I don't think I would have use white out, maybe just correct the times at the bottom of the page or drawn a line through the wrong time and rewritten the correct time next to it.

Good Luck!

One other thing; I've heard it's bad to use blue ink in your log book as well, any thoughts?

Sticky said:
Hi-

I looked through my logbook today and realized I made a addition error last year that caused my single and multi time not to add up to equal total time. I used white out to correct the 10 pages that had the errors. Now all the numbers match up. Now I hear that white out is a sin and technically not allowed. Is this true?

I'd bet that as long as none of the entries are changed and it's just the totals at the bottom then it's fine. A rule my CFI told me and I've seen it repeated here is, entries in pen totals in pencil. Good advice, apparently.

ePilot22 said:
One other thing; I've heard it's bad to use blue ink in your log book as well, any thoughts?

Yeah, whoever told you that is an idiot.

Logbooks are not a big deal. They hardly got glanced at when I was interviewing, and I got no questions about them, they're not the neatest logbooks I've seen either. Relax.

Ralgha said:

Logbooks are not a big deal. They hardly got glanced at when I was interviewing, and I got no questions about them, they're not the neatest logbooks I've seen either. Relax.

Ditto.

You can do whatever you want with your logbook. Logbooks are all on the honor system anyways so who cares if you cover something up with whiteout. People make logbook neatness too big of an issue.

On the other hand if it does get reviewed and isn't accurate with respect to meeting minimum times...for FAA checkrides, insurance, company requirements, etc., you could be in a bind.

Ralgha said:
But there seem to be a whole bunch of folks who believe in the one-color only "rule". Not only in aviation. You can't imagine (or maybe you can) how many times I've heard that all legal documents =must= be signed in black ink.

That one at least has a basis in reality. In the olden days, photocopiers has problems with blue. In fact, they used to sell a light blue pen or pencil that supposedly let you write on things so that the notes would be invisible when copied. So the custom started of signing legal documents in black.

Somehow that got translated by the mythologists-that-be into a "rule"

You're not going to get sent to the door at the interview because you used blue ink in some of your entries.

As a rule, I always do my totals in pencils. Totaling errors happen every now and then.

Don't know if it's the accounting classes I've taken, but why not just make an adjusting entry on one line in your logbook correcting the error? You could write an explanation into the entry explaining the error so in the unlikely event someone noticed it they would understand what you did.

Seems a bit easier (and neater) that 10 pages of white out and your totals would add up correctly again.

Just a thought.

Latest resources

Back