Logbook Errors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
midlifeflyer said:
But there seem to be a whole bunch of folks who believe in the one-color only "rule". Not only in aviation. You can't imagine (or maybe you can) how many times I've heard that all legal documents =must= be signed in black ink.
You must have missed that day in law school

midlifeflyer said:
That one at least has a basis in reality. In the olden days, photocopiers has problems with blue. In fact, they used to sell a light blue pen or pencil that supposedly let you write on things so that the notes would be invisible when copied.
It was fairly common in the engineering world where you have drawings which might be marked , then then copied and you didn't what your marks showing up in the copies. They were called non-repro blue pencils. I don't know if they still sell them.

midlifeflyer said:
So the custom started of signing legal documents in black. Somehow that got translated by the mythologists-that-be into a "rule"
On thee other hand, some advocate signing in blue so there's no question that it is an original signed document, rather than a copy of a signed document, which might have been altered during the copying preocess.

In fact just the other day I was filling out some official form and the instructions were to sign in blue ink.

shamrock[U said:
[/u]]Don't know if it's the accounting classes I've taken, but why not just make an adjusting entry on one line in your logbook correcting the error? You could write an explanation into the entry explaining the error so in the unlikely event someone noticed it they would understand what you did.

Seems a bit easier (and neater) that 10 pages of white out and your totals would add up correctly again.

Just a thought.
Yeah, that's what I do when I find an error. I agree that it's a much better approach. there's no appearance of hiding anything or changing anything, it's all out in the open and it's neat and it's probably not going to be noticed unless somone's really scrutinizing you logbook

Last edited:
If you only have 2200 hours total time, now is the time to convert to a computer logbook. The presentation doesn't have white-out.

Blue vs. Black ink... flying along a couple of months ago and used a blue ink pen for the aircraft logbook. The captain freaked out and said it has to be black. I was stunned... looked it up in the FOM and showed him that blue or black ink was ok for A/C logbook's. For crying out loud, who cares what color ink, just as long as it logged.

RJ

I"ll second the "adjusting entry" advice. I had to make several getting ready for my interview at F9. It all came out very neat and tidy. Too bad they never asked to see my logbooks...

Just put it down like this "Correction for dates xx/xx/xx thru xx/xx/xx, SIC erroneously logged as PIC" or whatever. Definitely err on the side of caution here - if they decide to give you credit for something then fine, but its not good to claim any time that's not 100% inarguable.

If your worried about neatness you can cut out some of the lines in the last page of your logbook, and carefully glue them into place over the error so you can fill in the correct numbers. I've done it before and if you do it correctly you'll hardly even notice.

I have not made an entry in my log book in about 2 yrs. We use electronic flight time duty times at work that also tracks currency and medicals.

Ditto

Big Duke Six said:
I"ll second the "adjusting entry" advice. I had to make several getting ready for my interview at F9. It all came out very neat and tidy. Too bad they never asked to see my logbooks...

Just put it down like this "Correction for dates xx/xx/xx thru xx/xx/xx, SIC erroneously logged as PIC" or whatever. Definitely err on the side of caution here - if they decide to give you credit for something then fine, but its not good to claim any time that's not 100% inarguable.

Same here, I just put an entry listed as an 'audit' with the details and te corrected numbers in the apropriate columns.

I'm one of the believers in a nice tidy logbook. I beleive in one color, ink only... no pencil, and if there is an error, draw the single line through the offending number and correct it with a one line entry on the current working page.

The people that interview you will use your logbook as a representation of the kind of work you do. If they see 2 different colors of ink, pencil, and a ton of white out, it shows a track history that is indicative of how you will complete company work.

Neat and clean, the occosional correction that shows you audit your work and are not afraid to correct mistakes is the way to go.

RJones said:
If you only have 2200 hours total time, now is the time to convert to a computer logbook. The presentation doesn't have white-out.

Blue vs. Black ink... flying along a couple of months ago and used a blue ink pen for the aircraft logbook. The captain freaked out and said it has to be black. I was stunned... looked it up in the FOM and showed him that blue or black ink was ok for A/C logbook's. For crying out loud, who cares what color ink, just as long as it logged.

RJ

My former company, a large 135 op, required all documents/paperwork to be done in blue ink. I never really heard a good explaination why. I think the military requires that everything be written in black ink.

Last edited:
J32driver said:
The people that interview you will use your logbook as a representation of the kind of work you do.

Hmm....now that I think about it....my flying is pretty sloppy too. I tend to rush through my logbook just like I rush out the office at quitin time! Maybe they're on to something! :)

No, but seriously, its kinda funny how easy it is to tell what kind of pilot someone is from their actions and behaviors. Blue vs. Black ink sticklers, uniform Nazis, guys with 10 aviation bumper stickers on their car, and those cool cats that have to tell everyone that they're a pilot within 30 seconds of meeting them.

Aaahhh...aviation...

I'm considered by those at work to have OCD...never been diagnosed but...they think I have it.

All logbook entries in black ink except the totals at the bottom. I usually recommend for students to do them in pencil since they will add wrong. With the electronic logbook software, it's easy to get it added for ya so I do mine in black ink...but thats because I don't have to do any work to add them up.

Does it really matter? Probably not. Just do it as neat as possible and always know why you put lines through things, re-log, etc.

-mini

Latest resources

Back