• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lobby for Age 70!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BS. What about the CAL strike? Prater & company were junior then and only agreed to "fight" Lorenzo if the union underwent assessments to fund his strike pay. That money didn't grow on trees, and the amounts were quite large on an individual basis. (maybe you paid some?) That's not only an example of senior taking care of the junior in ALPA, that's a case Prater turning his back to a unique responsibility he should realize is his to repay those who are now junior.

The point you are making is unique to guys like Prater and yourself and your generation. When you guys are done with this we"ll all be better off.
Yes I admit everything that is wrong with the airline industry is my fault. And my experience at my two union airline pilot jobs, now out business, as a junior pilot had nothing to do with my feelings about how effective unions can be a changing reality.

The proverbial race to the bottom has but one root cause- the selling out of the junior for the advantage of the senior. The senior will benefit as soon as they begin looking out for the junior. When junior pilots are furloughed or struggling financially- Virgin America has no problem finding really good, experienced pilots willing to work at their pay.

Some understand this- Baby boomers who have lived on the backs of their parent's sacrifices and now their children's future sacrifices - DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS. They actually believe they deserve everything they've gotten.

How are pilots going to retire at age 60 if the age limit were to be magically brought back to that? How many pensions are left? How many pilots, even if they have been captains for the last 10 years have enough saved to truly retire at age 60 after all the pay cuts post 9/11? It does suck that some junior pilots are furloughed due to age 65 and that many others have an extra 5 years as an FO, but as the pensions have mostly gone away and are not something to trust to last all of retirement even if they didn't, most of us will need the extra 5 years and preferably more to afford retirement. Maybe those extra years of work will take some off the backside of our lives, but at least we will be able to afford to live until death. Do you really want to find a new career at age 60 or 65 when you realize that you don't really have enough saved? If wages can be cranked back up again to levels that will allow us all to save enough for retirement without pensions, I'd be glad to retire at age 60 as my choice. Good luck all with retirement- we ALL need a lot of luck to save it up and not have the markets or our own poor investments sink us.

How are pilots going to retire at age 60 if the age limit were to be magically brought back to that? How many pensions are left? How many pilots, even if they have been captains for the last 10 years have enough saved to truly retire at age 60 after all the pay cuts post 9/11? It does suck that some junior pilots are furloughed due to age 65 and that many others have an extra 5 years as an FO, but as the pensions have mostly gone away and are not something to trust to last all of retirement even if they didn't, most of us will need the extra 5 years and preferably more to afford retirement. Maybe those extra years of work will take some off the backside of our lives, but at least we will be able to afford to live until death. Do you really want to find a new career at age 60 or 65 when you realize that you don't really have enough saved? If wages can be cranked back up again to levels that will allow us all to save enough for retirement without pensions, I'd be glad to retire at age 60 as my choice. Good luck all with retirement- we ALL need a lot of luck to save it up and not have the markets or our own poor investments sink us.
Nicely said, BTW you forgot the part about the Gov't declaring anyone making over $100K as rich and taxing them into lifelong employment in order to eat. So that those who do not pay taxes can eat.

Last edited:

This point of view seriously sucks! Yes, I do expect you to go get a different career at 60. That's what I would expect to have to do. That's apparantly what Pilotyip has done. What's so special about you?

I don't think any of you really understood that it was somewhat remarkable to just make it to 60. Age 65 isn't going to help in the long run. There are going to be no less of us who might find ourslves needing to work past retirement. All that has happened is a very few have taken an inordinate benefit in the near term.

I asked Prater why he changed age 60. He told me "because we're all in this together". He refused to explain to me how "together" it is to have basically the same number of pilots working past 60 as there who are furloughed. If we're so "together" then age 60+ pilots should not be bidding their full seniority and there should be no more allowed to fly than there would be to make certain than there are none involuntarily furloughed.

But but but I love pasta and Mex food. And beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Get fit- do a handful of pushups and situps to maintain and te extra sex you'll get will burn off all the beer you want-

And you won't split your pants in front of your pax climbing into your office...

Most of the over 60 guys couldn't pass a JAA class I. I am not sure all of the under 60 guys could either, its a two day ordeal. If they want to do away with a number, then they have to tighten the AME standards. And yes it IS a SAFETY issue.

You could get that physical right now. Just go to the AME that nobody goes to. there is a reason that nobody goes to that guy....cuz his own standards are very "tight". All you have to do is ask around, you'll find out who that AME is.

When you go to your flight physical now, what do you ask your AME to do that others don't do? Is it over and above what the FAA requires ?

I am in good shape and I try to take care of myself. That being said, I want an AME that just rubber stamps my medical. When/if I have medical concerns I go to my own doctor. I do not go to my AME to find out what is wrong with me, I go because it is what the FAA requires.

I suspect that is how most other pilots approach their medical.

the extra sex you'll get will burn off all the beer you want-

And you won't split your pants in front of your pax climbing into your office...

extra sex??? you mean that solo time??? My pants don't split 'cause I buy a larger size every year! :laugh:

Latest resources

Back