Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's in the works.

Not 'age 70' though.

Within 5 years there will be NO age limit...

Just like every other job.

Until an extremely extensive cognitive and reflex test is done in order to pass a medical for these 60+ year old ancients, it would be foolhardy to increase this age yet again. Or even worse, have no limit at all. These old guys move like they are in slow motion, and their minds often times get like mush. They just can't respond appropriately in an at times, extremely fast paced and stressful environment.

So Gup...... when would have/be a good time to initiate the age 60 change? Perhaps on YOUR 59th year and 364th day? At some point in time this was going to change and it should. At that time someone was gonna feel as though they got screwed. Like the result or not, it had to happen.

Bus

HAHA, These regional pilots crack me up. I am a regional Capt, and 65 sucks, but it wont when I get there, so suck it up because one day it wont suck !

Until an extremely extensive cognitive and reflex test is done in order to pass a medical for these 60+ year old ancients, it would be foolhardy to increase this age yet again. Or even worse, have no limit at all. These old guys move like they are in slow motion, and their minds often times get like mush. They just can't respond appropriately in an at times, extremely fast paced and stressful environment.

Thank you Doctor Spock.

Hi!

Pipejockey:
And, even with all the above liabilities, the pilots aged 60-65 have the safest accident record. So, what does that say about YOUR flying abilities?

Clark Griswold...I doubt you really care about Age 65, 70, 80, etc because you are actually making what 65-70K a year? I guess if I was making what you are I'd also be a little more relaxed with the notion of waiting a little longer. Remember half those "silly regional guys" you speak of are making HALF of your salary which is 35K give or take 5k, with no prospects anywhere in sight to improve that. It is what it is but that "one day" is a lot further away for some then others.

Hi!

JAA (Europe) already started and Age 70 committee, about two years ago.

cliff
LFW

So Gup...... when would have/be a good time to initiate the age 60 change? Perhaps on YOUR 59th year and 364th day? At some point in time this was going to change and it should. At that time someone was gonna feel as though they got screwed. Like the result or not, it had to happen.

Bus

I think the rule change should have been effective for the "unborn" generation. Those here now, including me, should have to go at 60.

But SWAPA didn't ask me while they were pissing my dues away in DC.

Gup

Age discrimination is independent of a number.

HAHA, These regional pilots crack me up. I am a regional Capt, and 65 sucks, but it wont when I get there, so suck it up because one day it wont suck !

What will suck is when you work until your 65 to get a few extra bucks in that retirement account then die when your 68 because you worked an extra 5 years. I don't care what you say, someone who flies for 30+ years will die on average earlier than someone who sits at a desk for 30+ years. I know lots of retired guys who were dead before 70 (one who died this past week at age 68) so I have no intention of working past age 60 to pump up the retirement account so my family can line my casket with gold. I plan on flying for 30 years, retiring before age 60, then running out of retirement money around age 75 because I'll probably be dead before then due to stress this job puts on the body anyways.

Latest resources

Back