Livivn in LA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a van down by the river!!

I used to live in San Mo cashed out and moved. Its the fact the the housing prices in no way reflect the actual value of the home or the property.

I now live in the Lone Star Republic, God bless no state income tax!

Jobear

There is a reason land is cheap in the lone star state. All those wonderfull brown man made lakes to put that boat in.

WestSide said:
Ever been to Atlanta?

Not to brag about Atlanta, that's something I could never do. As for cost of living, however, Atlanta ranks right at the national average. In fact, check this out...

Salary in Atlanta GA: $40,000
Comparable salary in Los Angeles-Long Beach CA: $62,948.86

If you move from Atlanta GA to Los Angeles-Long Beach CA...
Groceries will cost:25.533%moreHousing will cost:158.039%moreUtilities will cost:36.995%moreTransportation will cost:13.344%moreHealthcare will cost:9.691%more

or..

Salary in Atlanta GA: $40,000
Comparable salary in Omaha NE: $37,691.12

If you move from Atlanta GA to Omaha NE...
Groceries will cost:6.375%lessHousing will cost:10.806%lessUtilities will cost:14.379%moreTransportation will cost:3.012%lessHealthcare will cost:8.642%less

How about crash pads for those of us that will commute? Anyone suggest an area and have any "going rate" info?

"Don't expect to ever buy anything in LA - ridiculously too expensive. You should expect to be life-long renters unless you win the lotto. That's the truth - no BS"

Really? The house I live in along with plenty of other regional Captains I know in the SOCAL area that own homes are not renters.

Russ said:
"Don't expect to ever buy anything in LA - ridiculously too expensive. You should expect to be life-long renters unless you win the lotto. That's the truth - no BS"

Really? The house I live in along with plenty of other regional Captains I know in the SOCAL area that own homes are not renters.

Sure, you can buy a home in Compton or Watts if you want to. Perhaps you have lived in your home for years and years - before the inflation boom. I have lived in LA myself and I am well familiar with the real estate market there. You don't get value for your money - period. Sure, you can buy a home but most likely it will either be a crappy dump (if you pay less than $400K for a single family home) or you will live so far outside LA that the commute will kill you.

LA is not real estate friendly. You can always find homes for sale - just don't expect value for your money. If you buy a condo, it will be expensive and small - that's the truth and I know from personal experience.

Try Palmdale....lots of new homes.

OY6
You're going to believe what you want to believe, so I won't waste much effort. I live neither in watts or compton. I don't live in a mansion, nor is it a shack. I recognize money goes farther elsewhere but it doesn't mean a decent house isn't out of reach for a regional Captain in a decent neighborhood in Southern California. I have been in my current house for about 18 months.Money is tight, but all the bills are paid and money put away for college funds and 401K. As I said, you seem pre-disposed to your conclusion so I doubt this will change your mind.

If you are looking to rent, look at torrance, or up in the valley like Van nuys, sherman oaks, or SGV like glendale or pasadena. I had a nice 2 bd room apartment for 1350 in glendale, up in the foothills. It was a super clean neighborhood, the kind where my wife and I could walk at night and not get mugged. Another plus is that most ppl in GLendale speak english! It's about 18 miles from LAX, and if you left in the am, could get to LAX in about half an hour. West side is expensive. OC is nice but really expensive, and plan to spend HOURS trying to get to LAX on the 405 anytime of the day. Commuting out of the OC is a bitch. Good luck trying to buy. Even if you had the money, the real estate market is still so inflated in LA that you'd be paying twice as much as the property is really worth. IF you have any questions about a particular neighborhodd, drop me a pm. I lived in the area most of my life.

701EV said:
Where do us poor pilots live in the LA area? I know it cost more to live in California. I was wondering what suburb is somewhat affordable. My wife has a good job doing consulting work so we can live anywhere. I was waiting for the FLA base but it looks like that is not going to happen. So California here I come.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider an area close to the airport. The 405 can be an absolute nightmare to commute on. Yes they got like six lanes in each direction but you'd be surprised and confused as to why it suddenly turns into a parking lot. You may want to look into Marina del Rey up through Santa Monica. I don't think I have to tell you to stay the hell away from Compton and Inglewood. They'll tear your pretty uniform in half and make you walk home in your boxers if you're lucky.

If you want subburbia, you might want to look around the Pasedena area. It's a longer commute so it may not be conducive to being on reserve. However, if you're a line holder, it should work out. Monrovia, Sierra Madre, Glendale, San Gabriel, are all nice areas.

Best of luck to you. You're going to need a little more money than you're used to living in the LAX region. But you're going to love it if you can survive it.

Latest resources

Back