Livivn in LA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

701EV

Where do us poor pilots live in the LA area? I know it cost more to live in California. I was wondering what suburb is somewhat affordable. My wife has a good job doing consulting work so we can live anywhere. I was waiting for the FLA base but it looks like that is not going to happen. So California here I come.

Thanks,

701EV

Well maybe go down to OC. Much nicer areas for about the same money. Certain areas of the valley are a little cheaper or you can go more inland. Most decent 2 bedrooms are around $1500 to $2000 a month in so cal. I suggest down in the Southern OC. If you must stay in LA its hit and miss,try Santa monica, West LA, Westwood and certain areas of Hollywood. You really have to drive there and see before you make a decision. You will love it down in OC though.

The suburbs in L.A., especially most of Orange County, are very expensive (especially if you're looking to buy a house). Pretty much anywhere in the L.A. basin, you'll be able to get a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood for about 1500 a month...sometimes a little more. Living more inland is also quite a bit cheaper than anywhere within about 5 miles of the coast. Southern O.C. is very nice, but cheaper apartments are harder to come by. Another thing you might consider is the drive time to the airport (especially if you're on reserve). From southern O.C., it can take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours to get to LAX depending on traffic. Places like Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc. etc. are much closer to the airport for a little over 2 grand a month for a decent apartment. I live 30 miles directly east of LAX and on a good day, it takes me about 45 minutes to get to the airport. Any traffic, and the drive goes up to 1:15. Another 30 to get to the terminal and 10 to get through security and your 1:30 show is gone.

I would say try the areas near the airport, close to the beach (better neighborhoods). The neighborhoods aren't that bad, and you're close to the airport for a little more than 2000 a month.

If you can't afford that, then there's always inglewood, compton and watts...great neighborhoods for 500 a month... :pimp:

Why would you wanna live in that overpriced crapwhole?

Don't expect to ever buy anything in LA - ridiculously too expensive. You should expect to be life-long renters unless you win the lotto. That's the truth - no BS. I would try renting in Redondo Beach (easy to get to LAX up the PCH) or in El Segundo. You might find some ok places in Long Beach too. I wouldn't live inland. Good luck!

El Segundo.....very nice and affordable, right next to LAX and about a 5-10 minute drive to Manhattan beach....reserve spent on the beach all summer wasn't too bad!

ballsdeep123 said:
El Segundo.....very nice and affordable, right next to LAX and about a 5-10 minute drive to Manhattan beach....reserve spent on the beach all summer wasn't too bad!

I second that suggestion! Not too expensive, close to/on the beach and close to LAX.

Latest resources

Back