• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Livivn in LA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Someone once told me that rents are so high in California because people need to pay a "sunshine" tax. Certainly would beat many parts of the Midwest if you can afford it.

johnsonrod said:
Someone once told me that rents are so high in California because people need to pay a "sunshine" tax. Certainly would beat many parts of the Midwest if you can afford it.

The weather and the culture around the places we're talking about is much better than anywhere you can find in the Midwest...so I would say most of the rent is a sunshine tax..........

Just took a drive yesterday around the santa monica/marina del rey area, and there are a LOT of places for rent....I didn't get prices, but rent.com is showing 1 bedroom places starting at 1500 in santa monica with ocean views.........I'd pay extra for that :pimp:

Compton Oh Ya Baby

Flying Ninja said:
If you want subburbia, you might want to look around the Pasedena area. It's a longer commute so it may not be conducive to being on reserve. However, if you're a line holder, it should work out. Monrovia, Sierra Madre, Glendale, San Gabriel, are all nice areas.

Best of luck to you. You're going to need a little more money than you're used to living in the LAX region. But you're going to love it if you can survive it.

Breat suggestions for the San Gabriel Valley!! The drive isn't too bad (know the alternate routes to LAX) and housing can be quite affordable. Try Altadena, South Pasadena/Pasadena, Monrovia is great as is San Gabriel, Arcadia and TEmple City. Avoid San Marino (no apartments that I'm aware of and it's a very wealthy city). Or you could get gutsy and do Palmdale/Lancaster. I know many who live in Bakersfield (and I ask them "why?") who easily commute to LAX.

Good luck. I miss LA (and am not sure why:smash: )

Hawthorne or Lawndale ca.....
5-15 min from airport heading South east.
cheaper than any other place mentioned above.(except compton)

Apartments aren't too bad 800-1000 for one bedroom(2 bed 950-1200)
houses are expensive. 480-600K.....

Try the area west of Hawthorne Blvd. trust me.....
Don't go east of Prairie Ave.....

dingo222 said:
Another plus is that most ppl in GLendale speak english!
They do? All I ever hear there is Armenian. Though it is pretty nice there. Also look at Westchester and Playa del Rey. Both close to the airport, and PDR is right at the beach, not to mention rent-controlled.

Okay, 'spose I'm a first year FO, who has just been sentenced to a base in LAX. Where can I live? Anywhere I can find a crashpad?

701EV, drop me a pm if you need some help. IF you wife has some job leads, where she may find a job will have a lot to do with where you need to live in LA. I commuted of of LAX, but my wife had to do the drive every morning and it made a hell of a difference in her attitude once we moved closer to her job!!!!! You know how that goes!

True, the unofficial language in Glendale is armenian, but english is a close second. I don't sepak armenian either, so i'm screwed any way I go! No habla needed in Glendale, which is good since i don't speak spanish. Anywhere in the SGV is prob the best bet. I've lived in OC, pomona, ontario, LB, south gate, glendale,camarillo and callabasas. THe SGV is your best bet for a nice place at a good price (LA speaking). Monrovia, GLendale, eagle rock, pasadena, altadena, sierra madre, or anywhere up there is nice. Tons of apartments and condo's, and it's a good working class neighborhood with plenty of different ways to get to lax. Up there you have the 210 to the 5, 101, 110, 405 as a worst case, or even down sepulveda.

ANother thing you will notice that someone already metioned is that a lot of the smaller apartment places don't advertise. Drive around santa monica, venice, redondo or anywhere on the west side and you will just see a small sign in front of the building for a vacancy. There is just too much demand for apartments in LA for them to need to advertise. Worst case, find somewhere that you can go month to month until you can find the place that you want. I had a friend that got a 1 bd rm place for one month in van nuys, and then found a killer apt in culver city overlooking SMO airport and the ocean. HE paid like 1600 for it and it was a 2 bd rm with a loft. Dude had more tail in that place because of the view, than you will see at any sunset club on a weekend!

ITs a big place, and there are a lot of deals out there, but you have to look. The apartment finder magazines only show the complexes with enough money to advertise in the LA basin. Try craigslist, or word of mouth. Good luck out there guys, you will like it once you get settled. I just moved from there to CHO after being there almost 30 yrs. It's an awesome place especially if you are single, and it's affordable once you get to know your way around.

Last edited:
dingo222 said:
and it's affordable once you get to know your way around.

this is a little known fact about L.A........

on another note...I called one of the apartment complexes I drove by the other day.....1400 for a 1 bedroom apartment about 2 blocks from the marina in the marina del rey area.....a very good deal if you ask me.....just like the last guy said, you have to look around.

If you're on first year pay, there are a LOT of people looking for roommates......there are also a lot of crashpads floating around...United, Delta, Alaska, Eagle, and Cathay have LAX as a base..so it's pretty easy to find someplace to stay if you're commuting.....

There's always room for one more RV in the airport RV lot. I hear the sunsets are beautiful from a lawnchair on top of the RV! The rent is only about $60 a month! Those California girls love an RV Man!

Latest resources

Back